- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
A 7-Step Plan for How to Teach English Abroad in 2021
Written by: John Bentley
Last Updated: September 21, 2020
Wondering how to teach English abroad?
To Teach English abroad in 2021, you need to follow these 7 key steps:
- Research Your Options & Speak to an Expert Advisor
- Determine Options for TEFL Certification and Countries for Teaching English Abroad
- Enroll in a TEFL Certification Course & Get TEFL Certified
- Connect with International TEFL Academy Alumni Networks
- Begin Your Job Search Process
- Make Your Travel Plans and Visa Arrangements (if applicable)
- Arrive in Your Destination Country and Begin Teaching English Abroad!
According to British Council, 1.75 billion people will be using and learning English worldwide in 2021. This means that an English speaker with an accredited TEFL certification may qualify for literally thousands of jobs teaching English abroad in dozens of countries around the globe.
The vast scope of demand for English teachers worldwide makes the field of teaching English abroad unique. The opportunities it provides to English speakers from all walks of life to live and travel abroad are endless. You don't need prior teaching experience to teach English abroad, but like any great endeavor in life, moving to another country to live, work, and travel will take planning and foresight. Good research is also key to making sure you do it right.
So here are 7 steps you can take to embark on the international adventure of a lifetime teaching English abroad in 2021!
1. Research Your Options & Speak to an Expert Advisor
Whether this is the first time you've considered the idea, or perhaps you’ve conducted previous research, you'll have questions that need to be answered. From TEFL certification options to hiring requirements and benefits, by contacting International TEFL Academy, you'll receive the basic tools you need to begin the research process, including:
Download a 30-page Guide detailing all aspects of teaching English abroad & TEFL certification;
An international Country Chart that compares details for teaching English abroad in more than 50 countries around the world, including salaries, hiring requirements, visa information, and more;
Contact an expert TEFL advisor who will be available to answer your questions, explain options, and describe how the process of getting certified and hired to teach English abroad actually works. Read: Why You Need to Speak with a Professional TEFL Admission Advisor if You Want to Teach English Abroad (and do it right) to learn more.
To speak with an advisor, call us at 773-634-9900.
Tune into a 1-hour webcast (it's free!) Webcasts provide a great overview of job markets for teaching English around the world, in addition to TEFL certification, and job search guidance. You'll get a discount coupon for your TEFL class if you attend.
2. Determine Options for TEFL Certification and Countries for Teaching English Abroad
A native English speaker or a fluent English speaker from a non-native English-speaking country who earns an accredited TEFL certification can teach English professionally in many countries. There are many factors to consider when looking at options for TEFL certification and countries for teaching English abroad. Some matters you will need to think about include:
- What are the hiring requirements to teach English in different countries around the world and where will I be qualified to teach based on my nationality, level of education, and other factors?
- Where do I want to teach?
- How much money do I need or want to make while teaching abroad?
- Which TEFL certification is most appropriate for me based on where I want to teach, cost considerations, and other practicalities?
- What type of TEFL certification do I actually need to teach English abroad?
These are just a fraction of the questions you will encounter when making plans for teaching English abroad.
Your advisor will be a great resource for addressing such matters, but here are some great articles with more great tips and ideas:
- 7 Key Tips to Evaluating a TEFL / TESOL Training School
- 10 Questions to Ask Before Deciding Where to Teach English Abroad
- 9 Tips to Ensure Success Finding a Job Teaching English Abroad
You should also check out International TEFL Academy’s FAQ & Article Page, which includes more than 200 articles about all aspects of TEFL Certification and Teaching English abroad.
3. Enroll in a TEFL Certification Course & Get TEFL Certified
Unless you hold an advanced degree in TEFL or TESOL, earning an accredited TEFL certification is critical if you want to teach English abroad. Why? Because it will provide you with the skills you need to become an effective teacher and it will provide you with the qualification you need to gain employment from thousands of schools and language institutes around the world.
Also, once you enroll and begin your TEFL course, you will begin receiving Job Search Guidance and you can begin working with International TEFL Academy advisors on your job search.
Alert! You don't need to decide where you want to teach before beginning the certification process!
In fact, approximately 50% of International TEFL Academy Students begin the TEFL certification process without knowing where they will teach. Many change his/her mind once they begin receiving job search guidance and learning about teaching opportunities around the globe.
Here are some useful links related to TEFL Certification:
- Learn about 170-hour Online TEFL Certification – This internationally accredited TEFL course is the most popular option and is selected by nearly 4,000 International TEFL Academy students annually.
- See a Full Listing of 4-week In-person TEFL Courses around the Globe, including Chicago and New York in the U.S.
- Full Listing of Course Dates & Tuition
- Registration Procedures – Terms & Conditions
- 10 Questions You Need to Ask Any TEFL School Before Enrolling in Your TEFL Class
- International TEFL Academy Wins Widespread Recognition & Awards as Top School for TEFL Certification
4. Connect with International TEFL Academy Alumni Networks
Once you enroll in your TEFL class, you will be eligible to join ITA's exclusive networks and begin connecting, corresponding & networking with people like yourself who are already teaching English abroad or enrolled in their TEFL class.
You'll be joining a community of 30,000+ ITA alumni & fellow world travelers who are teaching in more than 80 countries worldwide. This means you can immediately connect with other alumni, make some friends before you head abroad, and get your questions answered by fellow alumni who have been in your shoes and are eager to help you out.
Here are some ways you can get connected right away:
Facebook Groups: Connect with ITA on Facebook to chat with thousands of ITA alumni in our exclusive, country-specific pages and topic threads. You can find an index of our alumni Facebook groups broken down by country here.
World Alumni Day: Every September, we celebrate ITA World Alumni Day. ITA alumni hosts hold parties on the same day in different cities around the world. This is a great way to get to know all of the ITA alumni in your community and make some new friends. All ITA Alumni are invited and encouraged to attend. Our 2018 World Alumni Day was celebrated in 27 cities across the globe and brought together hundreds of ITA alumni to share stories and enjoy a fun night out!
Alumni Blog Content & FAQs: Check out articles, blogs, and Q&As from hundreds of ITA alumni who are teaching English abroad.
Alumni Meet-ups: Get together with ITA alumni in your city abroad to share stories and maybe a beverage or two! The ITA Alumni Association sponsors meet-ups around the world to help our alumni connect. Learn about scheduled gatherings and how to organize your own with our support.
5. Begin Your Job Search Process
All International TEFL Academy students and graduates receive lifetime Job Search Guidance to assist you in finding teaching opportunities all over the world. Typically, you'll begin receiving job placement assistance once you begin your TEFL class.
When taking an Online TEFL Class or a TEFL Class in the U.S., you'll receive the assistance and guidance you need to apply and interview for positions in dozens of countries from home. This length of this process can vary widely, but typically plan on allowing 3-6 months from when you begin your course and your job search process to when you will depart to begin your new job.
If you plan on teaching in a country where you'll interview in person, you should plan to arrive in the country during a major hiring season. Contact and set up interviews with three to six schools a day and you should be landing a job within a week or two.
If you take a TEFL class abroad in the country where you plan to teach, the staff on the ground will assist you contacting and interviewing with local schools. Most TEFL graduates get a job within a week or two of completing their course particularly if they are applying and interviewing during a major hiring season.
Pro Tip! Wherever You Want to Teach, Do Not Neglect Opportunities to Teach English Online. Depending on where you decide to teach abroad and your personal circumstances, one option you want to at least consider no matter where you head abroad is teaching English online.
For one thing, you can start making money right away from anywhere in the world. This means you can start earning income teaching online from home to save on start-up costs before you actually head abroad.
Teaching English online offers flexibility.
- You can work from anywhere - As long as you have a high quality & reliable Internet connection, you can literally make money teaching English online.
- You can teach English online part-time or full-time. English teachers all over the world teach online to make extra money on the side of their full- or part-time job at a local school. Other English teachers teach English online full-time, which offers more flexibility in terms of begin able to move from location to location at will.
6. Make Your Travel Plans and Visa Arrangements (if applicable)
If you're already abroad when you interview and get hired to teach English abroad, this will be “Step 5.” For most TEFL graduates who interview and get hired prior to going abroad, these mark the final steps before you embark on your great international adventure teaching English overseas.
In some cases, your travel & visa arrangements will be handled and paid for by your employer. In other cases, you will be responsible for making your own arrangements. Read more:
- What is a visa and do I need a visa to teach English abroad?
- Teaching English Abroad: Essential Travel Resources
- When to Splurge and When to Pass: Planning & Packing For Your Move Abroad
7. Arrive in Your Destination Country and Begin Teaching English Abroad!
John Bentley is Co-Founder & Senior Writer for International TEFL Academy (ITA), the world leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad. A graduate of Harvard University and the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern, John is a recognized expert in the field of TEFL. His articles have appeared across the field's top websites, including GoAbroad.com, StudyAbroad.com, InterExchange, GoOverseas.com, Adventure Teaching, & many others. He has also spoken as an expert on Teaching English Abroad & TEFL certification at major conferences like MeetPlanGo and Lessons from Abroad (LFA) in Portland & San Diego.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- What are Hiring Seasons for Teaching English Abroad?
- Top 5 Countries to Make the Most Money Teaching English Abroad in 2020
- What Are Basic Start-up Costs for Teaching English Abroad?
- 10 Best Countries for Teaching English Abroad in 2020
- Coronavirus FAQs: TEFL & Teaching English Abroad or Online - What Are My Options?
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- Is ITA's Online TEFL Certification Course Valid and Accredited?
- 3 Reasons It’s Impossible For a Legitimate TEFL Class to Cost Under $1,000
- 7 Critical Mistakes to Avoid When Choosing the Best TEFL Course
- 10 Reasons Why International TEFL Academy Offers the Best TEFL Certification for Teaching English Abroad & Online in 2020
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree