- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
Where Do Schools Provide Free Housing for Teaching English Abroad?
Written by: International TEFL Academy
Last Updated: December 18, 2020
More than a quarter of a million native English speakers are employed to teach English abroad every year. In many cases, those teaching English overseas will be hired locally and paid by the hour without receiving major benefits like free housing and airfare, though they do typically make enough to live a comfortable middle class lifestyle .
However there are some countries, including some of the largest job markets in the world for teaching English abroad, where it is common or even routine for schools to provide English teachers with free housing as part of their contracts.
Countries Where Schools Commonly Provide Free Housing for English Teachers
- In certain countries in Asia like South Korea, China and in Persian Gulf Countries in the Middle East including Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates (U.A.E., including Dubai and Abu Dhabi) it is standard that schools provide furnished housing to foreign English teachers. In fact, many schools have contracts with, or even own their own apartment complexes to house their teachers.
- Some government-run programs that employ foreign English teachers to work in state-run (i.e. public) schools in countries like South Korea typically provide free accommodation as part of your teaching agreement (typically a studio apartment). In Japan, those teaching in public schools may receive free housing or a stipend for housing, however this will vary from school to school and region to region. Some other government programs in developing countries such as the Georgia Ministry of Education program, provide English teachers from abroad with homestays with a local family for the duration of their contract.
- Summer Camps: Most English teachers who work at summer camps in Asia and Europe are provided free room and board, plus a modest stipend.
Countries Where Some (But Not All!) Schools Provide Free Housing or a Housing Stipend for English Teachers
Middle East & Former Soviet Republics: In rare cases in countries like Egypt, Iraq and Kazahkstan, English teachers may be provided with free housing or a housing stipend.
Central & South America: It is not very common for schools in these countries to provide free housing or stipends to foreign English teachers, though there may be very rare exceptions (including volunteer programs & some public school programs).
Founded in 2010, International TEFL Academy is a world leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad & teaching English online. ITA offers accredited TEFL certification classes online & in 25 locations worldwide and has received multiple awards & widespread recognition as one of the best TEFL schools in the world. ITA provides all students and graduates with lifetime job search guidance. ITA has certified more than 25,000 English teachers and our graduates are currently teaching in 80 countries worldwide.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- Can I Teach English Abroad in the Summer?
- What Are Basic Start-up Costs for Teaching English Abroad?
- Top 5 Countries to Make the Most Money Teaching English Abroad in 2021
- What are Hiring Seasons for Teaching English Abroad?
- Coronavirus FAQs: TEFL & Teaching English Abroad or Online - What Are My Options?
- Will I Get Vacation Time When I Teach English Abroad?
- How Will I Make Friends While Teaching English in Korea?
- What Does it Mean to Break-Even Financially While Teaching English Abroad?
- How do I find a place to live while teaching English abroad?
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 10 Things They Don't Tell You About Living in South Korea
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- Teaching English Online from the USA - Q&A with Joelle Mulzac
- Top 10 Reasons to Teach English in Seoul, South Korea
- What I Learned About Myself From Living & Teaching English in Germany
- Volunteer Teaching in Guinea-Bissau: Q&A with Marit Snow Sawyer
- What It's Like Traveling to Thailand During COVID-19 to Teach English