- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
What are the Benefits of Teaching English Abroad?
Written by: John Bentley
Last Updated: May 28, 2021
What are the advantages of teaching English abroad?
The benefits of teaching English abroad are numerous!
1. Easy travel. When you live abroad it is typically much easier and less costly to travel. When you teach English in Spain, for example, you can easily hop on a train to spend the weekend in France, or perhaps Portugal, for just a couple hundred bucks. An English teacher in Korea can spend can spend as little as $500 for a week of fun and sun in Thailand or the Philippines. Or think of teaching in Turkey, where you are just an hour or two by flight from such great destinations as Athens, Venice and Vienna; or looking the other direction, you could be in Jerusalem, Cairo, or Jordan.
2. A rare opportunity to live abroad and truly immerse yourself in a foreign culture, where you will be a valued and integral member of the local community.
3. See the world while getting paid. How bad-ass is that? When it comes to the advantages of teaching English abroad, this one's hard to beat. In dozens of countries around the world, a first-time English teacher will earn a livable wage that enables them to cover all of their bills while enjoying the culture and lifestyle of the country in which they teach. In Asia and the Arab countries of the Persian Gulf, English teachers typically make enough to save 30%-50% of their salary after expenses, which in some countries can be $500-$1,000 a month or even more.
4. Make a positive and life-changing impact on the lives of others by providing them with an educational experience that will enable them to succeed in achieving their personal and professional goals through learning English.
5. Gain highly marketable professional skills that will provide you with excellent job prospects during economically uncertain times. Bear in mind that the demand for qualified English teachers will outstrip demand throughout your lifetime.
6. Gaining the ability to adapt to a new environment and culture where the language, religion and traditions may be different from your own.
7. Build friendships around the world. Living and teaching abroad provides an unparalleled opportunity to meet and befriend people from other countries and cultures. In addition, you will meet all sorts of interesting people from all over the globe. With more than 250,000 native English speakers working abroad as English teachers, you will likely have little problem meeting like-minded people living abroad (who are some of the coolest people you will ever meet!).
8. The opportunity to learn a new language. It’s far easier to pick up Spanish living in Argentina where you will be immersed in the language on a daily basis than it is taking classes or listening to tapes in your home country.
9. International work experience, which is increasingly desired by employers in the globalized economy of the 21st century. A world of professional opportunities are open up to those who have the background of living abroad and can provide employers with the skill and ability to live and work in a foreign country.
10. Experience new cultural interests like different types of cuisine, music and architecture.
11. A lifetime of memories, photos and the ability to become the world traveler you’ve always dreamed of becoming!
Here you have it! 11 benefits for teaching English abroad. For those who have the dream of seeing the world, the question isn’t "Why you should teach abroad" but "Why Not? !"
Posted In: Teach English Abroad
John Bentley is Co-Founder & Senior Writer for International TEFL Academy (ITA), the world leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad. A graduate of Harvard University and the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern, John is a recognized expert in the field of TEFL. His articles have appeared across the field's top websites, including GoAbroad.com, StudyAbroad.com, InterExchange, GoOverseas.com, Adventure Teaching, & many others. He has also spoken as an expert on Teaching English Abroad & TEFL certification at major conferences like MeetPlanGo and Lessons from Abroad (LFA) in Portland & San Diego.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Things They Don't Tell You About Living in South Korea
- 11 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 6 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online