What You Need to Know Before Moving to Spain to Teach English (The Ultimate Super Cheat Sheet)

Best Tips: How to Get a job Teaching English in Spain

Getting a job teaching English in Spain takes a lot of planning and knowledge about the teaching market, especially for Americans. Here are some key items you need to know in order to ensure a smooth transition to life abroad and successfully secure a teaching job.

Hiring Seasons - September/October & January are prime hiring periods.

 Visas - The type of visa will depend on your nationality and your job.

 Locations - Madrid is the top job market; Barcelona & Bilbao are other top options.

 Finding Jobs - Plan on being on the ground in Spain to interview during hiring seasons.

 Interviewing - Be prepared to interview face-to-face with your TEFL certificate & sample lesson plans in hand.

 Resources - From expert advisors to local job boards, ITA grads receive all the resources they need to get a good job teaching English in Spain.

Click here to receive your Essential Guide  to Teaching English in Spain. Everything you need to know  to plan your move to live, teach, and travel in Spain.

Step by Step guide to getting a job teaching English in SpainHiring seasons are critical

We highly recommend arriving in Spain to interview in person in mid-September or October. Bear in mind that early October is the beginning of a new term in Spain as many language schools reopen from summer vacations.

A secondary hiring period begins in the second week of January and runs for several weeks. Read top tips for employment in Spain here.  

It’s not impossible to get jobs in other months, but there are fewer jobs available. Teachers will need to plan to take on private tutoring initially until the next job season starts and should plan on arriving with additional savings if traveling to Spain outside of the primary hiring seasons.

The reason jobs are open these two times of year is due to many teachers finishing their contracts or semester term after living abroad for one or two years.

Two other notes about hiring in Spain: Summer camps typical recruit & hire in Spring.  Cultural Ambassadors Program applications are due in spring.

Read more about the hiring seasons in countries around the world in our Country Teaching Chart.


Visas for teaching English in Spain


If you are an EU citizen, you’re legally allowed to work in Spain and you won’t need to worry about the visa you enter on.

Visa options for Americans to work legally are extremely limited, but the demand for native English teachers is strong, as Spain is one of the largest English teaching markets in Europe. Americans need to consider their options, as some visas take months of planning.

  • Work Visa:  

Getting this type of visa is extremely rare. The Spanish government makes it extremely difficult for an employer to sponsor a visa for an English teacher.  While other European countries offer work visas fairly easily, Spain does not. To see what visa options are available, keep reading below.

Question: So if it’s nearly impossible to get a work visa, how do Americans teach in Spain?

Answer: Two main options: A Student Visa, while simultaneously enrolled in classes in Spain, or working on an expired Tourist Visa. (We’ll get to you Aussies, Canadians and New Zealanders soon.)

  • Student Visas:

A Student Visa allows someone the legal right to work for up to 20 hours a week while on that visa.  A few options are:

Enrolling into classes: Enrolling in a university or in an accredited language school and taking Spanish language classes is another way to get a student visa, which legally allows the recipient to work in Spain. This option requires around 3-4 months of advanced planning in addition to the cost of the language courses which cost $3,000 USD - upward, depending on the duration of the visa (often paid in full in advance).

Government teaching programs:  Government programs provide participants with student visas. The most popular program is the Cultural Ambassador Program for Teaching English in Spain, which requires applicants to apply many months in advance before they plan to head to Spain.  

  • Working on an expired tourist visa:

This option is for Americans entering on a 90-day tourist visa and “working under the table” illegally during that 90 days and then overstaying their visa while working at a language school or private tutoring.  This is extremely common as most Americans are not in a government program or on a student visa.    

Pro tip: Border Hopping to get a renewal on a tourist visa -  Not Happening.

Contrary to popular belief (and really outdated information), you can not “border hop” from Spain to another country outside the European Union (EU) or Schengen Region, and then come back to Spain a few days later and get a new stamp on your passport to renew it for a new 90 day visa.  While it may happen by mistake from a border guard not paying attention (or not caring because you are American), it’s not technically the legal way it is suppose to work so don’t count on getting a tourist visa renewal that quickly. (This is very common in Latin America, so don’t get the two areas of the world confused on this matter.)

  • Working Holiday Visa (Canadians, Australians, Canadians, New Zealanders you are in luck):

These nationalities have a special work agreement with the country of Spain (and other countries) and can apply for a Working Holiday Visa and those with EU citizenship have the legal right to work in Spain.


Read more about each visa option below:

Expert Tips for Getting a Job Teaching English in Spain

Location: Picking the Right City for Teaching in Spain

The city you move to in Spain (and the visa you enter on) will have implications for your job search. Barcelona and Madrid present the largest markets for English teachers in Spain – especially for those working on tourist visas.

  • Madrid:  

The largest city in Spain has the most language schools and greatest need for English teachers. Some of the schools will only hire those with a work permit (EU Citizens) or on a Student Visa however there are a large number of language academies that will hire an American without a work permit.  Many of these schools will have their American teachers working out of the office on assignment with private contracts for business teaching, sometimes at a client company’s office.

If you are teaching on a Student Visa you will have a lot more options, however the language schools may not know how to process the paperwork to employ you.  If you are on the Student Visa Program in either Madrid or Barcelona, the recommended language schools have already been working with our partners to fill out the hiring paperwork.   


  • Barcelona:  

You can get a student visa at approved language centers or universities and work legally at a language school.   If you’re headed to Barcelona as an American and not on a working visa, you should expect to work as a private tutor, as the vast majority of schools in Barcelona will not hire you without a legal work visa.

Most ITA alumni in Barcelona who are not teaching on a work or Student Visa support themselves exclusively with private tutoring that they arrange on their own, typically from an English tutoring posting site. For information on how to be successful at this, read ITA alumna Lauren O’Rourke’s article on the topic.


  • Other cities:  

Bilbao is another popular city in northern Spain in which numerous ITA alumni have found work at private language schools in the past working under the table.

Top cities for teaching English in Spain

  • Difficult cities for Americans to be employed at language schools without a work visa:

Valencia, Seville, Granada.



How to line up job interviews:

Going to the school, walking in the door and asking for a job interview. It may sound daunting to walk into a school and ask for a job instead of emailing a resume in and getting an interview. That’s just the way the vast majority of schools work in most of Western Europe and most of Latin America.  If you follow Rule # 1 of going during the hiring season, it all works out fine.

You should expect to interview face-to-face at a language school immediately before the school semester starts. While it’s good to go the extra mile to send out your resume and cover letter before you arrive in Spain (you may get lucky and someone will respond), the most effective way to get interviews and get hired with language schools in Spain is to go to schools directly in-person to inquire about teaching opportunities during the hiring season.

You should also expect to interview with a resume, cover letter, TEFL certificate and lesson plans in hand as an audition and ask for the job.  It’s very common to interview one day and start working within a few days.  Expect to talk to several employers a day while interviewing.   

NOTE: You should not expect to have a job lined up far in advance from a Skype interview in another country.

The demand for English teachers in smaller towns is much lower than it is in larger cities due to the amount of language schools there. Have a backup plan if you head to a smaller city or consider government programs that place teachers throughout Spain. Read more about getting a job in Spain here. 

Teach English Online. 

Whether you teach English in Spain or elsewhere, you can always increase your earnings and get a head start of setting up paid teaching hours by Teaching English Online. With demand for online English language instruction skyrocketing worldwide, teaching English online provides TEFL certified teachers with opportunities to earn extra pay at virtually time from anywhere in the world.  Most teachers are able to make at least $10-$20 (USD) an hour & hours are very flexible. Another key advantage is that you can begin teaching and making money before you even head abroad, which is great for covering start-up costs of your move and ensuring that you can have an income pretty much right away when you get to Spain. To learn more, check out Teach English Online Your Guide on How to Make Money & Travel the World.


Job Resources and live ITA staff assistance:

ITA has compiled a comprehensive collection of resources to make sure your job search is successful.

As an ITA graduate you will enjoy access to hundreds of listings of language schools throughout Spain, job websites specific to each city, tutoring job boards and listings of schools referred to ITA by our alumni.  ITA has done the heavy lifting to find the resources our graduates need to do the leg work and ask for the jobs, network with alumni and / or post their tutoring services on the right boards.

Make sure to check out alumni Q&As and articles and the ITA Alumni Spain Discussion Group on Facebook which has more than one thousand members who are actively networking and sharing experience about teaching English in Spain. Enrolled students should take advantage of the Job Search Guidance Manual, ITA’s guide for finding a job in Spain, resume and cover letter services with the Student Affairs Department, ITA’s Spain school finder, and live and taped webinars and e-books on teaching English in Spain. The Student Affairs team is always available for ITA alumni looking for job search assistance.

Success is in the details, planning and follow through: In summary, our ITA graduates find work abroad because they do the leg work necessary to be successful. They have spoken to an ITA admissions advisor; they thoroughly read and understood the guidelines and strategies of the job market in Spain; and they follow & use the advice, guidance & resources that  ITA has provided.

Super Pro Tip:  Read each of the referenced articles to become a “Pro Job Hunting” English teacher and know your stuff to have a successful experience teaching English abroad in Spain.

How to get an ESL teaching job in Spain

Want to learn more about Teaching English Abroad?

Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.

Related Resources:

New Call-to-action
New Call-to-action


under the table, Spain Student Visa, Madrid, Bilboa Spain, Madrid English teaching, Barcelona, Spain English teaching, Europe visas, Spain, work visas & permits, hiring seasons, Spain Cultural Ambassadors Program

Check Out The ITA Resource Hub!