Student Visa Program for Teaching English in Madrid, Spain

This program enables Americans & Non-E.U. citizens to teach English legally in Spain on a Student Visa while taking part-time Spanish lessons.

Free Guide: ABC's of TEFL Certification

Want to know what kind of certification you  need to get a job teaching English abroad?
Wondering about the differences between TEFL, TESOL & CELTA?
Got questions about matters like accreditation, practicum & job placement assistance?
Download this free ebook guide to learn all the basics about TEFL certification!

Download Now
Getting a Visa for Teaching English in Spain

Program Requirements & Eligibility

a) Applicants generally need to be over 21 and hold a university degree. Applicants who do not meet these requirements will be considered on a case-by-case basis. We will then organize an interview with the Director of Studies.  Non-native English speakers are also considered on a case-by-base basis and will be required to write an essay and participate in a phone interview.

b) International TEFL Academy graduates who have successfully completed his or her TEFL Certification course and wishes to live and teach English legally in Madrid, Spain and study Spanish for at least one year on a student visa.

When should I apply for the program?

You should apply for the program at least 3 months (no exceptions) before you want to be in Madrid.  You will also need to be in your home country to go to the Spanish Embassy or Consulate, i.e, if you are an American, you need to be in the US when applying.  The student visa process can be lengthy so you want to be sure to give yourself enough time.  Make sure to arrange an appointment with the Spanish Embassy or Consulate no less than 6 weeks and no more than 12 weeks before your intended arrival.

How do I know which program to choose?

Please review the program options below to decide which program fits your profile.  You can discuss options with your ITA admissions advisor if you are unsure.

Got questions or want to sign up?

To speak with an advisor, please call 773-634-9900 or fill out a contact form

Getting a Visa for Teaching English in Spain

Housing Options

To provide you with the option of permanent or temporary accommodation before you arrive, we have negotiated a deal with Sal y Ven.  For 60€, our agent will send you photos of rooms available for your arrival date. You can choose the place you prefer and they will arrange for someone to be at the flat with keys upon your arrival.

The advantages of using this agent are that you don't have to pay anything prior to arriving, the deposit is 350€ (others can ask for up to 1000€), it doesn't require any bank guarantees, and you can stay as long as you like. Rooms cost 400 - 510€ ($430 - $550 USD) per month. Each flat comes with Internet and a cleaner once a week for the communal areas.  From our experience this is the most hassle-free option available - and we're there to help you every step of the way.

  • If you love the apartment and your roommates, you can stay there for the duration of your time in Spain.
  • If you hate it, you can move out at the end of the month and get your deposit back to invest in a new flat.
  • If you want to move, but not right away, you have somewhere you can stay indefinitely while you scope out the market and the neighborhoods of Madrid.

How to get a job teaching English in Madrid