- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
Is ITA's Online TEFL Certification Course Valid and Accredited?
Written by: John Bentley
Last Updated: February 25, 2020
Meeting Standards for Internationally Recognized TEFL Certification Online
Most schools, language institutes and ministries of education recognize TEFL certifications that meet certain basic standards that are also recommended by leading bodies in the field. These standards reflect those incorporated in to a standard, accredited intensive four-week TEFL class and include:
1. At least 100 hours of coursework and training;
2. At least 6-20 hours of live practice teaching and observation involving actual ESL students (not peers - no role-playing);
3. External validation and accreditation by a recognized, independent body within the field;
4. Course instructors hold at least a Master's Degree.
Hours of coursework
International TEFL Academy’s 170-Hour Online TEFL Certification Course not only meets these standards, but exceeds them.
With 150 hours of class training our online course exceeds the industry standard by 50%. In addition, students participating in our course have the option of taking an additional 30 hours of specialized training (at no extra cost) for teaching business professionals and young learners. With these 30 additional hours, your certification will total 200 hours of training, which exceeds most other TEFL courses by approximately 70 percent.
Practice Teaching (Practicum)
To successfully complete an online TEFL / TESOL certification course, International TEFL Academy requires that each student complete 20 hours of practicum. These practicum hours allow each student to gain first-hand experience working with real ESL students, whether it is in an actual classroom setting, or by tutoring a non-native speaker privately.
With a 20-hour practicum, International TEFL Academy’s 170-Hour Online TEFL Certification Course exceeds the base industry requirement for practice teaching by more than 100%. Read more.
International TEFL Academy and its courses meet the highest international standards and are accredited and externally monitored by leading international accrediting bodies in the field of TEFL/TESOL. To ensure that our Online TEFL certification meets international standards in quality and delivery, this curriculum has been externally monitored and approved for accreditation by TQUK, an officially Awarding Organization that is recognized and regulated by Ofqual, the British Government organization responsible for monitoring and maintaining educational standards for professional certifications in the United Kingdom. All ITA-run courses, including the 170-Hour Online TEFL Course, hold a Level 5 Regulated status.
Read more about accreditation for International TEFL Academy courses.
Highly Qualified TEFL Course Instructors
International TEFL Academy’s 170-Hour Online TEFL Certification course is taught by university-level professors who must hold at least a Master's Degree (most will hold a PhD) in teaching English as a foreign language or a related field. All instructors also have extensive professional teaching and training experience.
Any TEFL school that offers a class taught by someone with less than an MA (or DELTA which is professionally acceptable abroad) is not providing the quality of instruction necessary to teach at a university level TEFL class and the course will not be accredited. Meet International TEFL Academy Professors here.
International TEFL Academy Online TEFL Class Wins Widespread Recognition as the Best TEFL School For TEFL Certification Online
International TEFL Academy (ITA) staff, students and alumni are proud that ITA has received multiple recognitions as one of the best TEFL schools in the world for offering TEFL certification for teaching English abroad & teaching English online.
Since the beginning of 2019, ITA has been named the #1 TEFL school by GoAbroad.com and GoOverseas.com across a range of awards categories for TEFL certification, including #1 Best Online TEFL Course and #1 Best In-person TEFL Class (ITA Chicago TEFL Class) by GoAbroad.com. ITA's Online TEFL Class also received recognition as the top-ranked Online TEFL class in several categories of the GoOverseas.com Community Choice Awards for TEFL Certification as well.
The Proof is in the Pudding - Our Graduates Get Hired
Ultimately one takes a TEFL certification course to gain the skills necessary to become a successful teacher and to attain a qualification necessary to gain employment as an English teacher abroad. International TEFL Academy certifies more than 5,000 students each year and approximately 80% of our students take this online TEFL course.
Students who have taken this course have taught in virtually every major job market for English teachers in the world, including those nations in Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Latin America where standards for TEFL Certification are the highest. From private language institutes and public schools to summer camps, private academies and universities, graduates of this course now teach English abroad in all sorts of venues and educational institutions.
Students who take this course range from college graduates with no prior teaching experience and those with no degree at all to Peace Corps volunteers, certified teachers in the U.S and abroad, corporate trainers, military personnel and even university professors. For hundreds of reviews, International TEFL Academy reviews on GoAbroad.com & ITA reviews on GoOverseas.com. For firsthand alumni interviews and articles, check out ITA Alumni Stories and watch alumni videos in our Video Library.
NOTE: Many online TEFL Certification courses are not accredited and do not meet these standards. While any decent training can be valuable and is not to be discouraged, taking a lesser TEFL certification course to save time or money will only limit your job opportunities in the end. To learn more about what to look for while choosing your TEFL class, please read 7 Critical Mistakes to Avoid While Choosing Your TEFL Class.
John Bentley is Co-Founder & Senior Writer for International TEFL Academy (ITA), the world leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad. A graduate of Harvard University and the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern, John is a recognized expert in the field of TEFL. His articles have appeared across the field's top websites, including GoAbroad.com, StudyAbroad.com, InterExchange, GoOverseas.com, Adventure Teaching, & many others. He has also spoken as an expert on Teaching English Abroad & TEFL certification at major conferences like MeetPlanGo and Lessons from Abroad (LFA) in Portland & San Diego.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- What is Accreditation for TEFL Certification Really All About?
- Can I Teach English Abroad Without Teaching Experience or an Education Degree?
- Is a TEFL Certification Required to Teach English Abroad?
- 10 Reasons Why International TEFL Academy Offers the Best TEFL Certification for Teaching English Abroad in 2020
- TEFL / TESOL / TESL / CELTA / DELTA - What’s The Difference?
- How Quickly Can I Get TEFL Certified and Begin Teaching English Abroad?
- 7 Critical Mistakes to Avoid When Choosing the Best TEFL Class
- 7 Key Tips to Choosing the Best TEFL School
- How Will I Complete the Practice Teaching for My Online TEFL Course?
- 5 Key Tips to Help You Pick the Best TEFL Certification Course (and Not Get Ripped Off)
- 5 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree
- Top 5 Countries to Make the Most Money Teaching English Abroad in 2020
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- Coronavirus FAQs: TEFL & Teaching English Abroad or Online - What Are My Options?
- Planning to Teach English Online? 4 Reasons You Need ITA's Teaching English Online Specialty Class
- 5 Reasons You Should Take an ITA Specialty Class After Completing Your TEFL Certification
- Introducing Your 2020 International TEFL Academy Teach Abroad Film Festival Finalists
- Saving Earth - Beyond The TEFL Classroom