- Country Info
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
2024 College Graduates: How to Get a Guaranteed TEFL Job in Asia
Are you a 2024 college graduate facing an uncertain job market? Learn how you can broaden your horizons while getting paid to travel the world as a professional English teacher in Asia.
Written By: John Bentley | Updated: January 9, 2024
Written By: John Bentley
Updated: January 9, 2024
Suppose you’re a new college graduate in 2024 and are apprehensive about entering a jittery job market. Or, let’s say you’re not quite ready to spend the foreseeable future cooped up in a cubicle, or, god forbid, your parents' basement. You have options if you want to see the world and experience significant personal growth and adventure while boosting your resume and saving money. You just have to consider exploring them outside of the box.
International TEFL Academy’s Guaranteed Job Placement Programs for Teaching English Abroad in Asia provide new college graduates in 2024 with opportunities to live, work and travel as English teachers in some of Asia’s most dynamic and exciting countries, including Japan, South Korea, Myanmar, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand. Teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL) is one of the fastest-growing sectors of international education and you can get paid to teach abroad even without prior teaching experience or a degree in education.
Why Should You Consider Teaching English Abroad Right After College?
There are many reasons, including:
- Travel the world, see new places, immerse yourself in new cultures, and push yourself beyond your comfort zone.
- Get paid enough to save $200 - $1,000 a month after expenses.
- Gain international work experience on your resume.
- Improve your skills in areas like public speaking, group management, and adapting to new situations.
- Make a difference in the lives of others.
What Is the Job Market Like for 2024 College Grads?
Despite low unemployment, layoffs at major leading companies like Google and Amazon have created an uncertain job market for new college graduates. According to the Wall Street Journal, the Class of 2024 is getting ready to enter a job market that is suddenly less eager to hire new grads.
Why is Teaching English Abroad One of the Best Jobs for New College Graduates?
According to the British Council, 1.75 billion people will be using and learning English worldwide in 2024. This demand means that an English speaker with an accredited TEFL certification may qualify for literally thousands of jobs teaching English abroad in dozens of countries around the globe.
The biggest markets and most lucrative job markets for teaching English abroad are primarily in East Asia, where schools and language institutes in countries like South Korea, Japan, Myanmar, and Thailand recruit thousands of native-speaking English teachers annually, and millions of school children, university students, and adults (primarily for professional reasons) enroll in English classes each year.
From the job placement process and visa paperwork to in-depth cultural training, our program provides the end-to-end support & personalized guidance you need to enjoy the experience of a lifetime teaching English abroad.
So let's dive right into it.
How to Get a Guaranteed English Teaching Job in Asia
4 Steps to Begin Teaching English Abroad Right After College
Here are the steps you need to take as a new college graduate to start making money as a professional English teacher in Asia in 2024:
1. Research Your Options & Speak to an Expert Advisor
So you want to live abroad, see the world, and teach English overseas in a fantastic location like Korea, Thailand, Myanmar, or Japan? Here are some links to learn more about teaching English in these countries and the Guaranteed Job Placement Programs that International TEFL Academy offers to help you get paid to live and travel abroad in Asia as a professional English teacher.
- First, download a free ebook: Guide to Job Placement Programs for Teaching in Asia.
- Second, learn about individual country options for paid teaching jobs offered by ITA.
- Three, call 773-634-9900 in the U.S. or fill out a form Contact an expert TEFL advisor who will be available to answer your questions and help you make your personalized plan for teaching English in Asia.
Guaranteed Job Placement for Teaching English in Japan
From uber-modern mega cities like Tokyo & Yokohama to superfast bullet trains and ancient Shogun castles, Japan is a world of stunning contrasts. It’s also one of the oldest and most well-established English teaching markets in the world. Our experienced team and network of more than 150 carefully vetted schools in Japan will ensure you enjoy the best possible teaching experience in this fantastic teaching destination. While Japan is known for a relatively high cost of living, most English teachers make enough salary to save up to $2,500 a year or more after expenses.
- Teach English in Japan Guaranteed Job Placement Program – Get an overview of how ITA’s placement program will set you up with teaching jobs in Japan that match your preferences.
- Teaching English in Japan Country Profile – A general overview of all aspects of teaching English in Japan.
- Read dozens of informative articles & alumni videos about teaching English in Japan.
Guaranteed Job Placement for Teaching English in South Korea
From K-Pop and kimchi to Kia Motors and Samsung, South Korea has confidently claimed its place on the world stage in recent decades as a cultural and commercial powerhouse. Offering some of the highest salaries (many first-time teachers are able to save $12,000 a year or more after expenses!) and best benefits (like free housing) in the world, South Korea offers English teachers opportunities not only to make and save money but also the chance of a lifetime to explore one of Asia’s most dynamic and fascinating nations. So, if you’re looking for a grand adventure that will also pad your bank account, here are some great resources to learn more about South Korea as a destination for teaching English abroad.
- Teach English in South Korea Guaranteed Job Placement Program – Get an overview of how ITA’s placement program will set you up with teaching jobs in South Korea that match your preferences.
- Teaching English in South Korea Country Profile – A general overview of all aspects of teaching English in South Korea.
- Read dozens of informative articles & alumni videos about teaching English in South Korea.
Guaranteed Job Placement for Teaching English in Myanmar
From ancient temples and jungles to food markets that have been running for over 500 years, Myanmar is not only full of natural beauty but is a cost-effective home base in Southeast Asia with plenty of history. Offering a wide array of teaching jobs in major cities like Yangon and Mandalay, Myanmar provides great opportunities for teachers who do not hold a degree. With the low cost of living in this country, teachers can expect to save up to 20% of their monthly income, allowing for the chance to travel and explore more amazing countries in Asia. So, if you’re a non-degree holder and looking for a once-in-a-lifetime adventure that will also boost your savings, here are some great resources to learn more about Myanmar as a destination for teaching English abroad.
- Teach English in Myanmar Guaranteed Job Placement Program – Get an overview of how ITA’s placement program will set you up with teaching jobs in Myanmar that match your preferences.
- Teaching English in Myanmar Country Profile – A general overview of all aspects of teaching English in Myanmar.
- Read dozens of informative articles about teaching English in Myanmar.
Guaranteed Job Placement Program for Teaching English in Thailand
A tropical nation in the heart of Southeast Asia, Thailand is a land of lush jungles, legendary beaches, ancient temples, and thousands of years of history and culture. Cities like Bangkok and Chiang Mai are renowned for their vibrant street life, colorful markets, and amazing cuisine, including that authentic pad thai you’ve been craving!
Thailand is also one of the region's largest job markets for teaching English. With a dynamic economy increasingly based on tourism and international commerce combined with a large population of youth growing up in the interconnected world of the digital age, the demand for English teachers is higher than ever. With a network of more than 1,000 carefully vetted schools spread throughout Thailand, our program ensures you can get placed in a job that best meets your preferences.
- Teach English in Thailand Guaranteed Job Placement Program – Get an overview of how ITA’s placement program will set you up with teaching jobs in Thailand that match your preferences.
- Teaching English in Thailand Country Profile – A general overview of all aspects of teaching English in Thailand.
Guaranteed Job Placement for Teaching English in Vietnam
A popular destination for those seeking off-the-beaten-path experiences, Vietnam is an exciting country with teaching jobs needed year-round. Be prepared to immerse yourself in a tapestry of cultures, savor tantalizing cuisine, and forge connections with warm and welcoming locals. Vietnam is known for its relatively low cost of living, and most English teachers make enough salary to save up to $600 a month or more after expenses. Your money will go far and allow you to enjoy amazing food and adventures.
- Teach English in Vietnam Guaranteed Job Placement Program – Get an overview of how ITA’s placement program will set you up with teaching jobs in Japan that match your preferences.
- Teaching English in Vietnam Country Profile – A general overview of all aspects of teaching English in Vietnam.
- Read dozens of informative articles & alumni videos about teaching English in Vietnam.
Guaranteed Job Placement for Teaching English in Cambodia
From the ancient temples of Angkor Wat to the bustling city of Phnom Penh, Cambodia has a plethora of sites to see and things to do. It’s also one of the fastest-growing English teaching markets in the world and is even open to those without a degree. Cambodia has a pretty low cost of living, allowing most teachers to save up to $6,000 a year to go in the bank or travel around Southeast Asia.
- Teach English in Cambodia Guaranteed Job Placement Program – Get an overview of how ITA’s placement program will set you up with teaching jobs in Cambodia that match your preferences.
- Teaching English in Cambodia Country Profile – A general overview of all aspects of teaching English in Cambodia.
- Read dozens of informative articles & alumni videos about teaching English in Cambodia.
What Do ITA’s Guaranteed Job Programs for Teaching English in Asia Include?
- Guaranteed English teaching job that best meets your preferences in Japan, Thailand, Myanmar, Vietnam, Cambodia, or South Korea. Our team will work with you to match you with schools that meet your preferences for location, age of students, and other factors.
- Salary & benefits that meet or exceed local market averages. Our team will vet all contracts and we vet all schools prior to placing teachers.
- Placements available year-round, including some short-term contracts
- Hands-on visa & work permit support
- In South Korea, all teachers also receive accommodations in a rent-free studio apartment and a stipend for airfare.
- 40 Hours of language & cultural training, both online and in-country, with exclusive excursions.
- End-to-end personalized assistance with all aspects of the placement process, including resumes & interviews.
- Access to 24/7 in-country support throughout your placement.
- Free future teaching placements in other countries where available.
What Are the Requirements to Participate in an ITA Program for Teaching English in Asia?
- Be a Citizen of the USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, or New Zealand
- Have a Bachelor’s degree (except for the Myanmar program)
- Be 21-40 years of age – Thailand program accepts participants up to 59 years of age.
- Hold a minimum 120-hour accredited TEFL certification approved by ITA. If you are not TEFL-certified, ITA offers award-winning TEFL courses online and in 20+ locations.
- SAVE UP TO $400 when you enroll for your TEFL course and job placement together. (Learn more below.)
- Clean criminal background check
- Program fees range from $1350-$1750 depending on your TEFL certification status. These payments are made in three installments.
2. Register for Your Teaching Placement & Enroll in Your TEFL Course
IMPORTANT! You do not need to have prior teaching experience or a degree in education to teach English abroad or to participate in an ITA Guaranteed Teaching Placement Program for teaching English in Asia. However, you need to take an accredited TEFL certification course to gain the teaching skills and qualifications necessary to participate in a teaching placement program and to qualify for tens of thousands of additional English teaching jobs worldwide.
International TEFL Academy offers accredited TEFL courses in an 11-week part-time format (online) and four-week intensive formats (online & in-person).
Online TEFL courses are most popular because they cost less, and you can take the course from home part-time while working or going to school.
Onsite TEFL courses offer an opportunity to earn your TEFL certification course in a cool international location while you acclimate to the country where you plan to teach.
You can take any accredited TEFL course, but for teaching in Asia through a job placement program, we recommend these primary TEFL courses.
- Online TEFL Courses (4-week intensive, 11-weeks part-time)
- TEFL course in Hanoi, Vietnam,
- TEFL course in Incheon, Korea
- TEFL course in Hua Hin, Thailand
- TEFL course in Nagoya, Japan
- TEFL Course in Yangon, Myanmar
- TEFL Course in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Lifetime Job Search Guidance included with all ITA standard TEFL courses. Whether or not you sign up for a Guaranteed Job Placement for Teaching English in Asia, if you take an ITA TEFL course, you will receive lifetime access to comprehensive Job Search Guidance for teaching English abroad and online.
This means that if, for example, you sign up for a teaching placement in South Korea and then decide you want to teach somewhere else in Europe, Asia, Latin America or the Middle East, you can always access the resources and personalized guidance you need to gain employment as a professional English teacher.
Register for Your Teaching Placement and Your TEFL Course
If you are not TEFL certified: You can enroll for your TEFL course & your teaching placement in Japan, South Korea, or Thailand, together at this Registration Link. NOTE: You will save $400 on your teaching placement fee when you enroll in a TEFL course and your placement program together.
If you are already TEFL-certified, or if you have a university degree in TESOL, you can enroll directly into a teaching placement in Japan, South Korea, Myanmar, or Thailand at this Guaranteed Job Placement Registration Link.
Note: Both tuition and your guaranteed English teaching job placement in Asia can be paid for using interest-free installments.
3. Pre-Departure Preparations for Arranging Your Placement
The exact steps of your job placement process will vary depending on whether you need to take a TEFL course, which TEFL course you take, where you want to teach, your desired timeline, and other factors. Below is an overview of the steps you will take to line your teaching job in Asia. Our experienced team will provide personalized guidance at every step and will also provide guidance in areas recommending what to pack, and when you should book your flights.
In most cases, the time between when you enroll in your placement program and begin your TEFL course will be four months for South Korea and Japan. In some cases, the process will be a bit shorter for Thailand. This is the time it will take to get your documents in order, interview, review contract offers, get your visa, and make travel arrangements.
Step 1 - Introduction & Planning
Our team will reach out and outline the job placement process and help participants get all their documents together and in the proper format for our team to begin promoting you to prospective employers in our 2,500 school network. You will also receive personalized guidance gathering documents you will need for your work permit/visa. Such documents typically include a notarized copy of your college diploma and possibly transcripts and a criminal background check.
Note: For those enrolled in ITA’s online course, you can begin the placement & visa process while completing your course. This will enable you to have your teaching job and start date lined up as quickly as possible after completing your TEFL course.
Step 2 - Job Placement Prep
Our team schedules a one-on-one call to discuss your job placement preferences and prepare you for the job placement process.
Step 3 - Interviews
Our team will promote you as a teacher to schools that best meet your preferences and set up interviews for you. At this point, our team will provide interview coaching and help you prepare for your interview. You will then begin interviews with one or more prospective employers.
Step 5: After the Interview
Step 5.1. The school will offer you a job placement if the interview is successful. Our team will review the contract offer to ensure it meets market standards and answer any contract-related questions. If you are satisfied with the offer, you can sign your contract.
Step 5.2. If the interview is unsuccessful or you do not wish to accept the job offer from the school, our team will continue to line up more interviews until you receive a job offer that satisfies you.
Step 6 – Getting Documents for Your Visa
Our team guides the participant through the process of applying for their visa and work permit and obtaining necessary documentation such as criminal background checks, bachelor’s degrees, passports (if one doesn’t have one yet), etc., some of which require an authenticated, legalized, and apostille copy.
Step 7: Cultural Orientation
If you plan to teach in Korea and Japan, you will take a 40-hour online cultural orientation before leaving home and join a weekend of cultural excursions during your first few weeks in the country.
Step 8 - Call Set Up
Our team will set up a call with you and guide you through what to expect when you arrive. This includes packing guides, assistance with booking flights and travel insurance, logistical questions, and so on.
4. Arrive in Your Destination Country – Participate in Cultural Orientation & Begin Teaching
Again, the exact process will vary depending on your personal circumstances, which TEFL course you take, and other variables. For example, if you take your TEFL class in Japan, South Korea, or Thailand, your cultural orientation will be folded into your onsite class calendar.
Arrive in your teaching country:
- For Korea and Japan, you will head straight to their placement and start teaching. You will also join included excursions and other cultural activities, including cooking classes.
- For Thailand, you will head to Hua Hin for a week of cultural orientation and start teaching in week two.
- For Myanmar, you will head to Yangon for a week of cultural orientation and start teaching in week two.
Our team will be there for you for every step of your journey. Once you arrive in Asia and begin teaching, our provides in-country support throughout your placement.
We are here to help you through any challenges you may face along the way, and we host regional teacher meetups and events as well.
Co-Founder at International TEFL Academy
John Bentley is Co-Founder & Senior Writer for International TEFL Academy (ITA), the world leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad. A graduate of Harvard University and the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern, John is a recognized expert in the field of TEFL. His articles have appeared across the field's top websites, including GoAbroad.com, StudyAbroad.com, InterExchange, GoOverseas.com, Adventure Teaching, & many others. He has also spoken as an expert on Teaching English Abroad & TEFL certification at major conferences like MeetPlanGo and Lessons from Abroad (LFA) in Portland & San Diego.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad & Online?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.