- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
Can friends or couples teach English abroad together?
Written by: International TEFL Academy
Last Updated: January 31, 2020
Looking to teach abroad with a significant other or a group of friends? Here's everything you need to know!
Yes! It is very common for friends and couples (both married and un-married) to go abroad together to teach English. If you are considering going abroad with a friend or significant other, here are some matters to consider:While it is entirely common for friends and couples to go abroad and teach English, to live together in the same apartment or city, you should not necessarily count on working in the same school. Some schools actually prefer not to hire friends or couples in case one leaves, the others won’t leave as well.
Conversely some schools do prefer to hire friends or couples under the philosophy that those with the support and company of a companion will make a smoother transition to life and work overseas. Bear in mind that you may work at separate schools and still live and socialize together, and many couples and friends actually find it beneficial to work at separate schools because they are able to meet more English-speaking colleagues and widen their social networks.
With some exceptions most English teaching positions pay enough salary to support one individual. This means that unless you are able to line up an especially good paying job or you have access to alternative financial resources, both of you should count on working to ensure that you earn enough to support yourselves and to enjoy a comfortable standard of living.
If you are married and one of you has citizenship in the country where you wish to live and teach, it will likely be easier for to gain employment, work visas and residency. Note that laws regarding these matters vary from country to country. It is critical that both/all of you speak with your TEFL Advisor.
Your Advisor cannot provide accurate advice without knowing the circumstances of both parties and it is critical that the Advisor be able to directly address the questions and concerns of all involved.
Posted In: Couples Teaching English Abroad
Founded in 2010, International TEFL Academy is a world leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad & teaching English online. ITA offers accredited TEFL certification classes online & in 25 locations worldwide and has received multiple awards & widespread recognition as one of the best TEFL schools in the world. ITA provides all students and graduates with lifetime job search guidance. ITA has certified more than 25,000 English teachers and our graduates are currently teaching in 80 countries worldwide.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- Teaching English in Yongin, South Korea - Alumni Q&A with Melanie Torreon
- LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Hanoi, Vietnam with Kim Gordhan
- Teaching English in Sochi, Russia: Alumni Q&A with Gloria Luhman
- Best Tips for Teaching Abroad with Your Spouse or Significant Other
- Prague, Czech Republic English Teaching Q and A with Lauren Manderfeld
- Singles Only, Says Who? 7 Reasons to Teach English Abroad as a Couple
- Day in the Life of an English Teacher - Da Nang, Vietnam
- Food, Friends, and Finding a Family in China
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 5 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree
- Top 5 Countries to Make the Most Money Teaching English Abroad in 2020
- TEFL, TESOL & CELTA: What Class Do I Need for Teaching English Abroad?
- The Path from Global Corporate Communication to Teaching Business English in France
- Teaching English in Santiago, Chile - Alumni Q&A with Erin Durian
- Teaching English in Vietnam: Celebrating Tet - The Lunar New Year
- Happy Chinese New Year! Teaching English in Asia During Holidays
- LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Mexico City, Mexico with Kyle