- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
Coronavirus FAQs: TEFL & Teaching English Abroad or Online - What Are My Options?
Written by: International TEFL Academy
Last Updated: September 18, 2020
Is the coronavirus (COVID-19) putting your goals of teaching abroad in doubt? Are you wondering if there is a market for teaching English online? Do you have concerns that getting TEFL certified will be a waste of money?
Table of Contents
- What is the current situation for teaching English overseas?
- The economy is tanking - is now the time for me to invest money in a TEFL class?
- How can you get TEFL certified during the coronavirus crisis?
- What is a realistic timeline for TEFL certification & then getting a job teaching English abroad or online?
- Can I get paid to teach English online during the coronavirus crisis?
- Why should I get certified with International TEFL Academy?
- What does ITA recommend at this time?
In the age of coronavirus, many of us are pondering such questions as we strive to stay healthy while facing an uncertain future. Here at International TEFL Academy (ITA), we cannot predict the future and we certainly aren't public health experts, but as leaders in the field of TEFL certification & teaching English abroad for the past decade, we are here to help you.
We can do this by providing a realistic overview of your options (and even opportunities) for TEFL certification and getting paid to teach English, whether online or in-person overseas.
Our TEFL courses provide an internationally recognized qualification that will enable you to teach English online (even during coronavirus) and then teach English overseas when opportunities reopen in the future. Since the outbreak of the coronavirus, ITA has been monitoring the situation closely and we have been in touch with our partners, alumni, recruiters, online teaching companies, and others involved in the field of TEFL and TEFL certification around the globe.
What is the current situation for teaching English overseas?
With communities - and even entire countries - still in various stages of lockdown and economic paralysis, physical schools across the world have been closed with limited reopening in some nations. International travel remains only a fraction of normal levels and travel restrictions are in place, especially for citizens of countries like the United States that continue to experience high numbers of new cases. Meanwhile, online education is booming and many ITA graduates are now teaching English online as a way to sustain themselves during coronavirus-related school closures.
As of the beginning of August, 2020, some schools and language institutes are reopening and hiring English teachers to work in physical in-person classes. This is the case in some Asian nations like South Korea, where schools and government public school programs like EPIK have been recruiting and hiring teachers, including ITA graduates. In the vast majority of cases, new teachers will need to complete a coronavirus test and a quarantine (usually 14 days) before they can begin their job and engaging with the local community.
In Europe and the Middle East, many nations are also beginning to slowly open their economies and schools are beginning to hire and reopen with the traditional beginning of the school year in late August & early September. However this is on a limited basis and the reopening of schools and teaching jobs will be largely dependent on how effectively the coronavirus is controlled. The exact situation will vary country-to-country and even region-to-region within some nations. Again, travel restrictions or temporary bans remain for foreign nationals in some cases, particularly for those from nations like the U.S. that continue to experience high numbers of new cases. Quarantines of up to 14 days are also commonly required.
While coronavirus cases have decreased in many regions across the globe, most nations in Latin America have experienced rising cases over June and July, 2020. Still, many schools are expected to attempt to reopen in coming months. Again, the situation can vary greatly from one nation to the next and is subject to change at any time depending on the coronavirus.
Worldwide demand for English language education is massive and demand for teachers will continue to grow. Once the virus is brought under some control, there will likely be very strong demand for in-person teachers across the globe. In more than 10 years as a world leader in the field of TEFL, we've seen that in times of economic crisis, people across the world invest in English language education. Gaining a new skill and boosting your resume is critical for getting hired in so many sectors of the 21st century economy.
For firsthand perspectives on ITA graduates who are teaching or just riding out the coronavirus abroad, check out these articles.
The economy is tanking - is now the time for me to invest money in a TEFL course?
Obviously the economy in the United States and around the globe is facing a massive crisis as a result of the coronavirus outbreak. We are all fearful for our health, our jobs, our families, and our futures. It's scary stuff.
We believe that while times are tough and uncertain, those who prepare themselves now will best weather the storm and will be best prepared to hit the ground running once the world returns to some sense of normalcy.
Some points to remember if you are interested in teaching English online or in-person in the future:
- Demand for English teachers online remains strong and will continue to remain strong. This is a viable way for you to earn money if the coronavirus and lockdowns continue in the U.S. and Europe.
- Education is largely recession proof - schools will continue and people will invest in their education to improve their job prospects, this is especially true for the case of English language training.
- If you want to teach English abroad, take advantage of the downtime you have now to get certified so you are prepared to take advantage when jobs open up in the future.
- Your TEFL certification will never expire and your access to ITA Job Search Guidance is also lifetime. So, if you get TEFL certified now you will be able to call on the resources you need to get a job teaching English abroad or online at any point in the future, whether it be in 1 year, 5 years, 10 years or whenever you want to take the next step.
How can you get TEFL certified during the Coronavirus crisis?
ITA's accredited 11-week, part-time Online TEFL course or the 4-week, full-time Intensive Online TEFL course are your best options at this time for getting TEFL certified and preparing you for opportunities to teach English online and overseas in the future.
Most in-person TEFL schools around the world are also being closed and classes remain on hold throughout the rest of 2020. So if you're looking to take an in-person TEFL course for teaching English as a foreign language, unfortunately this likely will not happen until 2021. For up-to-date info related to availability and cancellations of in-person TEFL courses around the globe, please read our Coronavirus Updates page.
Important to know: You can take both the 11-week online course and the 4-week intensive online course safely from home. You can also complete your 20-hours of student teaching online to ESL students.
What is a realistic timeline for TEFL certification & then getting a job teaching English abroad or online?
ITA’s 170-Hour Online TEFL course is 11 weeks long (part-time) and then you’ll need to finish your 20-hours of practicum (live practice teaching). These practicum hours can be completed during or after your TEFL class at an in-person location or online.
If you take ITA's 4-week Intensive Online TEFL course, which has the practicum hours built into the course, you can realistically begin looking for teaching jobs immediately after your course ends.
Your lifetime job search guidance begins the day you enroll in your TEFL class, so you can get the conversation started with your ITA Student Affairs advisor when you’re ready. Your Student Affairs advisor can help you put together your resume and cover letter; gathering any documents that you may need.
Teaching Jobs Abroad:
As of August 2020, recruiting and hiring for in-person teaching jobs is still slow though schools in some countries are beginning to ramp up hiring as they reopen. Travel restrictions are still a major obstacle, especially for Americans and others from countries with high numbers of new COVID-19 cases. Timetables will always vary based on where you want to teach, but even in normal times it’s best to give yourself anywhere from 6-9 months from the time you start your TEFL class to the time you’re heading overseas.
The process of lining up an in-person teaching job can take anywhere from 1-6 months depending on the country and the employer. If the coronavirus crisis continues to wane in 3-6 months, you could feasibly be abroad as early as late 2020, or more likely early 2021, if you begin your online TEFL course in August or September, 2020. In you are already in the country where you want to teach, you may be able line up teaching jobs faster, but this will depend on factors like coronavirus-related restrictions, the local hiring cycles and other local circumstances.
International TEFL Academy will be monitoring the situation and continually updating this article as we learn more about hiring timelines around the world.
Teaching English Online Jobs:
From the time you begin your 11-week part-time Online TEFL course, it’s possible to be teaching English online in 4 months. If you take the 4-week Intensive Online course you can begin your job search as soon as your course ends within a month of beginning your course.
No matter what course you take, the process of lining up online teaching jobs can take at least a couple weeks with interviews.
You may be able to get part-time work teaching or tutoring online during your TEFL class, but these opportunities are usually part-time and offer lower pay as the vast majority of major online teaching companies will only hire you once you have your TEFL certification.
Can I get paid to teach English online during the coronavirus crisis?
Many schools are resuming classes online and online schools are hiring TEFL-certified teachers to teach English online. In our experience from working with online language schools, the demand for online education, including teaching English online, will continue to grow, especially during the current crisis. As a matter of fact, ESL students in other countries are likewise socially isolated and on lockdown, and are already taking their other classes online. The key is taking an accredited TEFL certification class (more on that below) that will provide you with the teacher training you need and the qualification required by the vast majority of online teaching companies.
Why consider teaching English online?
- First-time teachers typically make $15-$20 an hour teaching English online. You may not get rich, but it can supply sustainable income during uncertain economic times.
- You can work from the safety and comfort of your home during the coronavirus and any social isolation, or lockdown, caused by the outbreak . Check out Can I Teach English Online from the USA?
- While many sectors of the economy are coming to a standstill and millions face the prospect of losing their jobs, there is strong demand to hire TEFL-certified teachers during the coronavirus crisis and beyond.
- If you do eventually plan on teaching English abroad, teaching English online first from home will help you gain valuable experience and boost your resume for when you’re applying to in-person jobs.
Why should I get certified with International TEFL Academy?
We care about you. Simple as that. We are all world travelers and have spent years of our lives living all over the world. We are not the cheap guys and we're not a diploma mill, we sincerely believe in what we do. We've helped more than 30,000 people get TEFL certified and experience life as a paid English teacher online and in over 80 countries worldwide. We truly set the standard in the TEFL industry with internationally accredited TEFL classes and lifetime job search assistance. We offer the best accredited TEFL-classes both online and in-person (note - most in-person classes are not available until further notice). Further, we offer the very best job search guidance in the industry. As a full-service TEFL provider, we not only stress the quality of our actual TEFL classes, but also provide personalized guidance from our team of experts, in addition to access to the best information and resources.
Learn more about why International TEFL Academy is considered world leaders in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad & teaching English online by reading 10 Reasons Why International TEFL Academy is the Top TEFL School in the World in 2020.
What does ITA recommend at this time?
- #1 - Stay safe! Stay informed and follow guidance set out by local and national authorities.
- #2 - Talk with an ITA Admissions Advisor about your options for teaching online and overseas. Fill out this form and your personal Admissions Advisor will get in touch. You’ll also receive your TEFL starter kit via email in a few minutes. You can also call us now at 773-634-9900.
- #3 - Take advantage of our flexible payment options. We are doing everything we can to help our students through this challenging time. If you are interested in teaching online in the coming months or overseas in the future we have created a special payment plan for this crisis to make this affordable in your budget
- # 4: Plan for the future: We are all going to get through this. It typically takes 6-9 months start-to-finish to get TEFL certified and teach English abroad. So take action and get your planning started so you’ll be ready to go when the time is right.
Finally, we are doing our best to stay informed on this rapidly developing situation and advise our students accordingly. Check out our coronavirus (COVID-19) updates page for the latest information.To learn more about your options, check out this video below:
Coronavirus FAQS: TEFL & Teaching English Abroad or Online What are My Options?
Founded in 2010, International TEFL Academy is a world leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad & teaching English online. ITA offers accredited TEFL certification classes online & in 25 locations worldwide and has received multiple awards & widespread recognition as one of the best TEFL schools in the world. ITA provides all students and graduates with lifetime job search guidance. ITA has certified more than 25,000 English teachers and our graduates are currently teaching in 80 countries worldwide.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- Top 5 Countries to Make the Most Money Teaching English Abroad in 2021
- What are Hiring Seasons for Teaching English Abroad?
- 10 Best Countries for Teaching English Abroad in 2021
- How Quickly Can I Get TEFL Certified and Begin Teaching English Abroad?
- 10 Questions You Need to Ask Any TEFL School Before Enrolling in Their TEFL Class
- How I Finally Got a Job Teaching English in Switzerland
- What Are Basic Start-up Costs for Teaching English Abroad?
- 7 Critical Mistakes to Avoid When Choosing the Best TEFL Course
- Can I Make Money as a Private Tutor While Teaching English Abroad?
- Great Summer Festivals & Celebrations Around the World
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree
- Teaching English in Florence & Rome, Italy - Alumni Q&A with Laura Tressel
- Your Digital ITA TEFL Certificate: The What, Why, & How?
- Immunizations, Prescriptions, and Mental Health Abroad
- 8 FAQs About Teaching English Online
- 10 Reasons Why International TEFL Academy Offers the Best TEFL Certification for Teaching English Abroad & Online in 2020