Will the International TEFL Academy assist me with my TEFL job search and help me find English teaching opportunities abroad?
Job Search Guidance, including personal guidance from expert advisors, contact information for thousands of schools and recruiters around the world, access to hundreds of job boards and more.
Job placement assistance (our phrase is Job Search Guidance) is a critical factor that you need to consider when you decide which TEFL certification course you take. You can spend $120 to € 2,500 ($3,200) or more on a TEFL course, but if you can’t find a job abroad due to lack of guidance, what’s the point?
International TEFL Academy receives approximately 2,500 inquires a year from people holding a TEFL certification from another training organization asking us to help them find a job. Unfortunately those graduates registered for their TEFL courses without understanding the importance of it and because the training organization itself did not provide the necessary job placement services and resources to their students.
While the field of English language instruction represents one of the strongest job markets in the entire economy, navigating hiring procedures, interview processes, hiring seasons, visas and everything else that goes into gaining employment in a foreign country can be challenging and confusing.
You should not even consider a TEFL certification program that does not incorporate in-depth pre-enrollment advice and post graduate job search guidance. At International TEFL Academy, we understand the challenges of gaining employment abroad so we put the highest priority on providing our students with the resources, guidance and expertise they need to find the best English teaching jobs and opportunities abroad for themselves.
Finding English teaching jobs abroad is a two-part process:
Part 1: Pre- Enrollment Advice:
From their first contact with ITA, to the day they go abroad, our students receive personal guidance from trained and experienced staff members.
Before registering for a course, all students are provided with comprehensive pre-enrollment advice from expert advisors to determine how they can realistically achieve their goals of working as professional English teachers abroad. From certification options to the realities of the international job market, our commitment is for each student to embark on their adventure fully informed and prepared in a manner that enables them to succeed.
You will need to understand the following before enrolling into a TEFL course:
a) The enormous English teacher demand. (Approximately 250,000 jobs around the world due to over 1.7 million people learning English.)
b) The hiring cycles: Each country has a cycle of current foreign teachers finishing contracts and leaving and then the intake of brand new English teachers. Follow the job cycle and there are too many English teaching jobs for the supply of teachers.
c) Job Interviews: Each job is an interview. Some jobs are in public schools with many of those positions through a government program. The vast majority of English teaching jobs are at private language schools. Some countries require you to interview face to face a week or so before the job season starts, other countries have an advance interview process several months in advance, many over skype.
At the end of the day, a teaching position is a job that you need to be qualified for, know how to interview and be prepared to get. ITA will prepare our you as our student or graduate and you will need to do the work to get the job.
c) Requirements in that country and job: Citizenship, Degree Status, Age, English Fluency are some of the factors for each country.
ITA requires all people who enroll into a TEFL course to have an understanding of these items before enrolling or we will not permit you to take our TEFL course. We will provide all of the literature and personal advising time with you before registration. If you understand and follow the job requirements and the job
Part 2: Post-Graduation Assistance:
All International TEFL Academy students and graduates receive lifetime Job Search Guidance and TEFL job placement assistance, which includes -- but is not limited to -- the following:
- Personal guidance from an experienced Job Search Advisor prior to registration - Our expert Job Search Advisors are available to speak with you and correspond by email to address all of your questions and to assist you with every aspect of your TEFL job search from writing your resume/CV and cover letter, to coaching you on the interview process in different markets, to helping you assess which destinations might be the best fit for you.
It is extremely important to know exactly where you can or cannot work, know of hiring seasons, requirements, hiring processes, etc. before you enroll into a course. This creates the correct expectations for you, the student to be prepared to look for a job after your certification is complete. This link to our country chart is a first step to understanding the top English teaching markets.
- ESL Job Search Manual: All of our graduates receive a detailed 300 page manual all relevant information for major TEFL job markets around the world, including hiring seasons, academic standards, and the interview process as well as templates for resumes and cover letters. This manual also incorporates extensive listings of online resources, including more than 100 international ESL job boards, contact information for thousands of schools and recruiters and more.
- ESL Worldwide School Directory: We will send you a directory of approximately 20,000 schools and language institutes worldwide that you can contact directly regarding employment opportunities.
- Referrals to preferred recruiters, placement agencies and language schools: International TEFL Academy enjoys strong relationships with schools, recruiters and placement agencies throughout the world.
- Job interview assistance for International TEFL / TESOL course participants: For students that take our four-week TEFL / TESOL course at an international location, the site director can arrange interviews or provide local contacts for your job search both during and after the training.
These services are lifetime, so students and graduates have the confidence that they will always be able to call on our resources and expertise.
International TEFL Academy certifies approximately 5,000 English teachers each year. Graduates of our courses now teach English in dozens of countries around the globe, including those countries with the highest standards in the world for hiring teachers, including Korea, Germany, Japan, Italy, Taiwan, Russia, Argentina, Brazil and China, as well as smaller markets from Iraq and Palestine to Nicaragua. Past students have included Peace Corps volunteers, members of the U.S. military, and university professors, in addition to hundreds of others from all walks of life.
PLEASE NOTE: International TEFL Academy is not a placement agency. We do not assign you a job in a particular country and we will not sell, promise or give you a job. We do not guarantee jobs as you must qualify and interview for positions yourself; however if you follow our guidance and use the extensive resources that we provide you, there is no reason why you should not be able to find opportunities that meet your goals and qualifications. We are committed to our graduates' success and you will never be alone with our assistance and guidance.
For your reference this link to our Country Chart provides basic information about working and getting hired in approximately 50 countries around the world, including information on ESL hiring seasons, foreign English teacher salaries, extra benefits and the interview process.
Want to learn more about TEFL Certification & Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of teaching English around the world, including TEFL certification, the hiring process, salaries, visas and more.
- 7 Key Tips to Evaluating a TEFL / TESOL Training School
- Top 5 Countries to Make the Most Money Teaching English Overseas
To learn more about ITA's philosophy and approach to teaching English abroad, please read our Vision Statement.