- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
What Type of Visa Can I Use to Teach English in France?
Written by: International TEFL Academy
Last Updated: July 19, 2021
Interesting in teaching English in France? You're in the right place! Visas are an important part of planning your adventure overseas. The following is the most common type of visa that can be obtained for teaching English in France. The type of visa you'll need in France will depend on your nationality and perhaps other factors. Be sure to speak to you TEFL Advisor to discuss your specific questions and concerns about your visa before heading to France.
The first thing is to understand what are all the different types of visa. Please refer to our article, What is a visa and do I need a visa to teach English abroad?
The Process For Obtaining a Visa to Teach English in France:
France represents a sizable job market, but the vast majority of non-EU citizens, will need to either teach English on a Student Visa, teach through the TAPIF Program, or Canadian citizens have the possibility to apply for a Working Holiday Visa.
The most common visa option of those three options for U.S. citizens is a student visa.
A student visa for France must be obtained in the USA or your home country i.e. it cannot be processed if you are already in France however, student visas can be renewed once you are in France.
Student visas also cannot be processed more than 3 months ahead of your intended arrival but usually take up to 4 weeks to process. Therefore, it is very important to plan out and understand the timeline.
- Register and pay for French language courses through a university or French language school recognized by the French consulate or embassy. Here is a list of approved courses on GoOverseas.
- You will most likely need to pay in full for the duration of your studies before you can get your student visa.
- You will receive a registration certificate or proof of registration and payment from your school. Once you receive this, you can begin the process with Campus France.
- Teachers need to take a minimum of 20 hours of French language courses to qualify for a student visa.
- Begin your application through Campus France. Please note that the Campus France application and visa application are two different but required steps in order to get a student visa. You must first complete the Campus France application process. This process is usually complete within 3 weeks.
- Create your account and submit online application
- Pay the $190 USD fee online
- Email the required paperwork to Campus France USA
- Complete the visa application at the French consulate in your jurisdiction by making an appointment. Appointments can be made online on the consulate’s website. Make sure to always check the website of your consulate to find out which documents you will need to present at your visa appointment! All consulates are different and have various requirements!
- Arrive at your appointment on time, dressed professionally with all of the correct documents and visa fee.
- Once the visa has been approved, your passport will be stamped with a visa.
- If you fall into the category that needs to fill out the OFII form, make sure you register with the local immigration office in France to validate your student visa within a few days of your arrival.
Talk with your ITA Advisor about teaching English in France and get all of your questions answered about student visa programs, TAPIF, and much more.
To learn more about visas and teaching English abroad in Colombia check out these resources:
- Teach English Legally in France, Spain, or Italy With a Student Visa
- Top 21 Tips for Finding a Job Teaching English in France
- How to Obtain a Student Visa For Teaching English in France
- What is the TAPIF Program For Teaching English in France?
Founded in 2010, International TEFL Academy is a world leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad & teaching English online. ITA offers accredited TEFL certification courses online & in 21 locations worldwide and has received multiple awards & widespread recognition as one of the best TEFL schools in the world. ITA provides all students and graduates with lifetime job search guidance. ITA has certified more than 35,000 English teachers and our graduates are currently teaching in 80 countries worldwide.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- 11 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- 10 Things They Don't Tell You About Living in South Korea
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 11 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online