How Do I Get Health Insurance When I Teach English Abroad?

Wondering about health and travel insurance when teaching English abroad? Let's take a look at your various options when it comes to insurance and TEFL.

When planning for teaching English abroad, it is important to consider your health and travel insurance options.

Will I Get Health Insurance When Teaching English Abroad?

In some cases, health insurance will be provided by your employer. In others, you may be responsible for procuring your own insurance. This will vary from country to country, and in some cases from job to job and school to school.

The bottom line is that you should always inquire about health insurance when considering teaching in particular countries and when interviewing for specific teaching positions.

Let's take a look at TEFL insurance options around the world:


Health insurance is typically provided in major Asian job markets for English teachers, including South Korea, China, Taiwan, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Hong Kong, and often, though not always, in Thailand.

In some cases, you may be required to pay into your health insurance; this will typically be deducted from your paycheck each month and usually amounts to $25-$50 a month.

In less-developed nations like Cambodia and Mongolia, insurance may be provided by internationally managed language schools, but it's not necessarily the norm.

A TEFL teacher in his classroom with his students


Most Americans teaching English in major western European nations like Spain and Italy will be responsible for their own health insurance if they are working illegally (not paying taxes and don't have a work permit).

In nations where Americans can receive a work visa and pay taxes like GermanyRussia and Turkey, there is a much higher chance that insurance will be provided as part of the national health care, but this is definitely a matter that you should clarify with any employer during your interview (often, there is a co-pay deduction from your paycheck).

In some nations, such as the Czech Republic, affordable insurance can be purchased locally. For instance, it is possible to purchase a plan known as Complex Insurance in the Czech Republic for approximately $800.00/year. The plan provides basic health, dental and vision insurance.

health insurance for teaching English abroad TEFLThose participating in government-operated teaching assistantship programs in nations like France and Spain, do typically receive health insurance.

Those planning to apply for student visas in European nations like Spain, France and Italy, will typically be required to provide proof of insurance to receive their visa. Proof of insurance is also typically required for Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders applying for a working holiday visa to travel and teach English in Europe.

Want to learn more about visas, including work visas, student visas and working holiday visas? Please read: What is a visa and do I need a visa to teach English abroad?

European Union (E.U.) citizens teaching in E.U. countries, and teachers teaching in their own country, are very often provided with coverage as well. If you are on a work permit in Europe you typically are going on that nation’s health care. In most European countries there typically is a co-pay, perhaps $50 – 60 USD per month. However, it is always up to you to find out from your employer whether health insurance is provided.

Latin America

Most foreign English teachers in Latin America will be responsible for their own health insurance. Insurance is more likely to be provided to teachers with contracts and work visas in nations like Chile and Mexico.

Middle East

In Persian Gulf Arab countries like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, U.A.E. (including Dubai and Abu Dhabi), Bahrain, Kuwait and Oman, health insurance is typically provided to English teachers as part of their compensation package.

In less-developed nations such as Egypt, Morocco, Jordan, and Lebanon, some employers will provide some health insurance, but this will vary from school to school and job to job.

Where Can I Get My Own International Health Insurance if I Need to?

Quality, affordable international health insurance can be purchased from any number of providers, many of whom specialize in international travel insurance.

These plans are usually far less expensive than plans offered by domestic insurance companies in the U.S. Long-term international health insurance typically ranges from $ 50-60 USD per month for those under 50 years old, though some basic plans can be found for less.

One popular provider is HTH Worldwide. There are many providers and options, so it's incumbent on you to research your options thoroughly. Visit their websites and research your options. Remember, you are looking for long-term insurance, 6-12 months, not for the insurance you take for a week-long vacation.

How Do I Get Health Insurance When I Teach English Abroad?

We also recommend consulting your current provider to inquire as to whether you may already have coverage overseas, and/or whether they offer international insurance. If you are covered on a family policy held by your parent or guardian, check with the insurance carrier to make sure that your coverage will continue while you are on the program and/or out of the country. Again, even if your domestic provider offers international health insurance, it may be 3-5 times more expensive than plans available from companies specializing in international long-term care.

NOTE: Even if your insurance is provided for you, may wish to consider international health insurance as a supplement, particularly if you plan to travel internationally as your employer-provided insurance probably won't cover you outside of that particular country.

Go further: Immunizations, Prescriptions, & Mental Health When Teaching Abroad

Posted In: ,

Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad & Online?

Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.