- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
Immunizations, Prescriptions, and Mental Health Abroad
Written by: International TEFL Academy
Last Updated: November 12, 2019
You’ve done it! You’ve completed your TEFL course, started to apply for jobs, and sorted through all the paperwork you need to get abroad. Maybe you have even started packing. But, have you scheduled an appointment with your doctor? If not, do so ASAP! And when you go, tell them where you are going and ask them about three things: Immunizations, prescriptions, and mental health abroad.
This step can easily be overlooked, but it is crucial. A quick talk with your doctor or even a search on the internet will show that most countries require some immunization shots from Hepatitis to Yellow Fever. These quick preventative measures can really help you avoid a serious illness while abroad.
Also, you will want to touch base with your doctor about any prescriptions you have to see if those prescriptions are available and/or even legal in the country you are going to. Most of the time, you can get what you need in the country or you can simply bring what you need with you. And as mentioned, in some cases, your prescription might be considered an illegal substance in the country you are going to, so you want to check on this before you arrive with a year supply of it in your suitcase.
Finally, it is important to look into the country’s attitude towards mental health. Many Western cultures are very open about mental health and treatment for it. However, in other parts of the world, there still exists a stigma surrounding any mental health issues. So at the very least, you will want to get a feel for the country’s attitude towards mental health to enter the experience prepared. And even more importantly, in places where the stigma is strong and there can even be a disbelief in mental health issues, you will want to be sure that you will have access to the resources and medications needed to keep you happy and healthy while teaching abroad.
So get going! Do some research about immunizations, prescriptions, and mental health in the country you are going to. The US Embassy site, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, and the International Society of Travel Medicine are good places to start and as always, our alumni networks on Facebook are where you can tap into a wealth of first-hand knowledge from your peer TEFL teachers already living abroad on all these subjects. Then, once you have a general feeling for it and have jotted down some questions, call your doctor, set an appointment, and ask them for insight on the country you are going to. If they do not know the specifics, they should be able to provide you further resources.
Want to Learn More about Teaching English Around the World?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of teaching English Chile and around the world, including TEFL certification, the hiring process, salaries, visas and more.
- Visit our ITA Resource Hub for All Your Teaching English Abroad Needs
- Does International TEFL Academy Provide Job Placement Assistance?
- Does ITA Have a Job Placement Guarantee?
- Job Search Guidance for Teaching English Abroad
- 7 Reasons ITA's Job Search Guidance is Better Than Job Placement
- 8 Reasons Why International TEFL Academy Offers the Top TEFL Certification for Teaching English Abroad
Founded in 2010, International TEFL Academy is a world leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad & teaching English online. ITA offers accredited TEFL certification classes online & in 25 locations worldwide and has received multiple awards & widespread recognition as one of the best TEFL schools in the world. ITA provides all students and graduates with lifetime job search guidance. ITA has certified more than 25,000 English teachers and our graduates are currently teaching in 80 countries worldwide.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Bangkok, Thailand with Brittany
- How Teaching in Korea Helped Me Come Out (or Led Me To Come Out)
- LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Mexico City, Mexico with Robert Blackie
- A Canadian's Guide to the Documents Needed to Teach English in Vietnam
- 10 Reasons Why International TEFL Academy Offers the Best TEFL Certification for Teaching English Abroad & Online in 2020