- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
Best Tips for Yoga Enthusiasts Who Want to Teach English Abroad
Written by: Ashley Houston
Last Updated: December 28, 2020
Looking to take your down dog abroad? If you’re a certified yoga teacher planning to teach English abroad, you can fulfill both of your passions overseas.
From hostels to retreat centers and teacher trainings abroad, the yoga travel scene has blown up over the past five years. Teaching yoga abroad can take your mindfulness and full presence from the mat out into the country you’re living in, so you can fully embrace your new locale. It’s also an excellent way to connect with other like-minded yogis worldwide. Added benefit, since you’re also teaching English and the cost of living tends to be much cheaper in many of the yoga hot spots, you can better support yourself while pursuing your perfect crow.
Just like teaching abroad in certain locations, it’s typically easier to find and secure opportunities teaching yoga by interviewing in person once you’re on the ground abroad. This is especially true in popular yoga markets like Latin America and Asia. Some of the hottest locations to teach or take yoga classes abroad can be found in Costa Rica, Indonesia (Bali & beyond), Morocco, Mexico, Argentina, Thailand, Colombia, Vietnam, Nicaragua, and Peru.
You can sometimes secure positions in advance via the resources below, or reaching out to popular hotels, eco communities, or resorts abroad. It’s all about persistence and patience!
- Yoga Trade - this newer online resource brings yoga teachers together with students for work trade and teaching opportunities. You can search by location or type of opportunity you’re looking for and browse postings from all over the world.
- Yoga Travel Jobs - this online platform lets you search for yoga jobs in many destinations abroad of varying time commitments.
Having an online presence is pretty important in the yoga industry today, so whether it’s via Instagram, a personal blog, or website, make sure to include your contact information, have some great photos, references, or recommendations from students, and background of your experience beyond your yoga teacher certification. It also helps to be clear about what kind of yoga you focus on.
Finding balance is key for yogis, so make sure to adjust to your English teaching schedule before adding on too many other commitments teaching yoga.
Pro tip: If you do know some of the local language, this can help you become more marketable, and you can create postings to advertise for private yoga classes or workshops, similar to how you would promote private English tutoring.
Meaningful travel urges a deeper connection with the culture and you can cultivate that in and out of yoga sessions. If you’re ready to take your practice to the next level, head abroad and teach yoga while also teaching English!
Teach. Travel. Yoga.
Posted In: Teach English Abroad
A true industry pro, Ashley brings more than 10 years of experience in international education to the ITA team. She studied abroad six times, and has traveled to more than 40 countries. All of her diverse experiences brought her to International TEFL Academy, where she is proud to help others work toward the wonderful adventure of teaching English abroad!
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- Can I Teach English Abroad in the Summer?
- 5 Best Countries for Teaching English Abroad in 2021
- Coronavirus FAQs: TEFL & Teaching English Abroad or Online - What Are My Options?
- Top 5 Countries to Make the Most Money Teaching English Abroad in 2021
- What Are Basic Start-up Costs for Teaching English Abroad?
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Things They Don't Tell You About Living in South Korea
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- Teaching English Online from the USA - Q&A with Joelle Mulzac
- Top 10 Reasons to Teach English in Seoul, South Korea
- What I Learned About Myself From Living & Teaching English in Germany
- Volunteer Teaching in Guinea-Bissau: Q&A with Marit Snow Sawyer
- What It's Like Traveling to Thailand During COVID-19 to Teach English