- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
Best Tips for Yoga Enthusiasts Who Want to Teach English Abroad
Written by: Ashley Houston
Last Updated: January 24, 2020
Looking to take your down dog abroad? If you’re a certified yoga teacher planning to teach English abroad, you can fulfill both of your passions overseas.
From hostels to retreat centers and teacher trainings abroad, the yoga travel scene has blown up over the past five years. Teaching yoga abroad can take your mindfulness and full presence from the mat out into the country you’re living in, so you can fully embrace your new locale. It’s also an excellent way to connect with other like-minded yogis worldwide. Added benefit, since you’re also teaching English and the cost of living tends to be much cheaper in many of the yoga hot spots, you can better support yourself while pursuing your perfect crow.
Just like teaching abroad in certain locations, it’s typically easier to find and secure opportunities teaching yoga by interviewing in person once you’re on the ground abroad. This is especially true in popular yoga markets like Latin America and Asia. Some of the hottest locations to teach or take yoga classes abroad can be found in Costa Rica, Indonesia (Bali & beyond), Morocco, Mexico, Argentina, Thailand, Colombia, Vietnam, Nicaragua, and Peru.
ITA grad Meghan Tighe taught English in South Korea. To learn more about her experiences, read
TEACHING IN SOUTH KOREA: HOW LIVING ABROAD HEIGHTENS THE 5 SENSES
You can sometimes secure positions in advance via the resources below, or reaching out to popular hotels, eco communities, or resorts abroad. It’s all about persistence and patience!
- Yoga Trade -- this newer online resource brings yoga teachers together with students for work trade and teaching opportunities. You can search by location or type of opportunity you’re looking for and browse postings from all over the world.
- Yoga Travel Jobs - this online platform lets you search for yoga jobs in many destinations abroad of varying time commitments.
Having an online presence is pretty important in the yoga industry today, so whether it’s via Instagram, a personal blog, or website, make sure to include your contact information, have some great photos, references, or recommendations from students, and background of your experience beyond your yoga teacher certification. It also helps to be clear about what kind of yoga you focus on.
Finding balance is key for yogis, so make sure to adjust to your English teaching schedule before adding on too many other commitments teaching yoga.
Pro tip: If you do know some of the local language, this can help you become more marketable, and you can create postings to advertise for private yoga classes or workshops, similar to how you would promote private English tutoring.
Meaningful travel urges a deeper connection with the culture and you can cultivate that in and out of yoga sessions. If you’re ready to take your practice to the next level, head abroad and teach yoga while also teaching English!
Teach. Travel. Yoga.
Want to Learn More about Teaching English Abroad & TEFL Certification?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of teaching English abroad, including TEFL certification, the hiring process, salaries, visas and more.
- Teaching English in Latin America - Articles & FAQs
- Alumni Stories (videos, articles, interviews) - Teaching English in Latin America
- Q and A with Karen from Student Affairs about her experience getting TEFL certified and teaching English in Chile
- Latin America TEFL Class Index
- 17 Insider Tips for Getting a Job Teaching English In Latin America
About the Author: Ashley Houston
Wisconsin born, raised in the Chicago burbs, Ashley's a true industry pro and brings years of expertise to the ITA team. She has studied abroad six, I repeat, six times
Posted In: Teach English Abroad
A true industry pro, Ashley brings more than 10 years of experience in international education to the ITA team. She studied abroad six times, and has traveled to more than 40 countries. All of her diverse experiences brought her to International TEFL Academy, where she is proud to help others work toward the wonderful adventure of teaching English abroad!
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- Top 5 Countries to Make the Most Money Teaching English Abroad in 2020
- 10 Best Countries for Teaching English Abroad in 2020
- What Are Basic Start-up Costs for Teaching English Abroad?
- Coronavirus FAQs: TEFL & Teaching English Abroad or Online - What Are My Options?
- What are Hiring Seasons for Teaching English Abroad?
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Bangkok, Thailand with Brittany
- How Teaching in Korea Helped Me Come Out (or Led Me To Come Out)
- LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Mexico City, Mexico with Robert Blackie
- A Canadian's Guide to the Documents Needed to Teach English in Vietnam
- 10 Reasons Why International TEFL Academy Offers the Best TEFL Certification for Teaching English Abroad & Online in 2020