- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
3 Reasons to Get TEFL Certified If You Want to Join the Peace Corps
Written by: Ashley Houston
Last Updated: December 29, 2020
If you’re a U.S. citizen over the age of 18 looking for a meaningful way to make an impact overseas, teaching English abroad and joining the Peace Corps are probably at the top of your list. There are many benefits to both opportunities, but here are some benefits as to why you should get TEFL certified before joining the Peace Corps:
1. It will boost your chances for acceptance to a very competitive program:
Even if you’re just beginning your research, you probably know that the Peace Corps is competitive, and the application process is no joke. Teaching English abroad is a great way to get your feet wet living abroad before going into an intensive placement program like the Peace Corps. A big bonus is that the TEFL certification will make you more competitive in your application to the Peace Corps.
Getting into the Peace Corps can been a very competitive process akin to applying for a place at a prestigious university or college. A TEFL certification will make you more competitive because it shows you having training in teaching English, something useful and very relevant in many of the Peace Corps placement locations.
2. Teaching English is a part of many Peace Corps assignments
A very high percentage of Peace Corps assignments incorporate education (it’s their largest program area), particularly English language instruction. So not only will getting a TEFL certification greatly enhance your opportunities to be accepted into this prestigious volunteer program, but it will help you be a bit more comfortable and prepared for the experience.
It will also provide you with the skills you need to run an English class in a foreign country where you will encounter cultural and linguistic differences. Understanding the basic principles of lesson planning, classroom management, teaching grammar, and other basic teaching skills will make your life as English teacher abroad (whether in the Peace Corps or not) far more rewarding and successful.
In fact, one Peace Corps volunteer in Madagascar, Allston McCall, stated, “TEFL certification adequately prepares Volunteers with no prior teaching experience to teach in rural areas.”
International TEFL Academy certifies more than 5,000 new English teachers a year--more than the number of new Peace Corps Volunteers each year. So, if you’re like our alumna Chelsea Johnson and aren’t ready to commit to the Peace Corps quite yet, a TEFL certification and teaching abroad are a great way to see if living and teaching abroad in a foreign country is right for you!
3. You'll Have Back-up Options if the Peace Corps Doesn't Work Out
Say for whatever reason the Peace Corps doesn't work out for you? Maybe circumstances in your life change, or God forbid you aren't accepted?! If you have an accredited TEFL certification you'll still be qualified for thousands of professional teaching opportunities in dozens of nations around the globe. Your TEFL certification won't expire, and if you take your TEFL class with International TEFL Academy, you'll have lifetime access to comprehensive Job Search Guidance.
Attn: Peace Corp Returnees:
Already spent time serving in the Peace Corps and now looking to make your English teaching experience more official for jobs in other countries? International TEFL Academy offers a scholarship for Peace Corps returnees who want to complete their TEFL certification - contact your Admissions Advisor to learn more.
A true industry pro, Ashley brings more than 10 years of experience in international education to the ITA team. She studied abroad six times, and has traveled to more than 40 countries. All of her diverse experiences brought her to International TEFL Academy, where she is proud to help others work toward the wonderful adventure of teaching English abroad!
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- Can I Teach English Abroad Without Teaching Experience or an Education Degree?
- What is Accreditation for TEFL Certification Really All About?
- Coronavirus FAQs: TEFL & Teaching English Abroad or Online - What Are My Options?
- How Quickly Can I Get TEFL Certified and Begin Teaching English Abroad?
- 7 Key Tips for Choosing the Best TEFL School
- From Peace Corps Reject to Head Montessori Teacher in Hanoi, Vietnam
- 7 Critical Mistakes to Avoid When Choosing the Best TEFL Course
- Can I Use My TEFL Certification to Teach English in the United States?
- What Are Basic Start-up Costs for Teaching English Abroad?
- What Are the Differences Between Joining the Peace Corps & Teaching English Abroad?
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Things They Don't Tell You About Living in South Korea
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online