must read

How Can I Get a Work Visa to Teach English in Mexico?

If you're interested in teaching English in Mexico and want to work legally, obtaining a work visa is an important step.

Grab Mexico TEFL Guide

In addition to offering a broad array of fantastic culture and history, diverse landscapes, dynamic cities, and thousands of miles of beautiful coastline, Mexico represents one of the largest job markets in the world for teaching English abroad.

Each year, thousands of foreigners are employed to teach English in Mexico in hundreds of schools and language institutes. One question facing anybody teaching English abroad is do I need a work visa or some other official permission to work professionally as an English teacher in that particular country?

Can I Get a Work Visa to Teach English in Mexico?

It is common and routine for those teaching English in Mexico to be able to process a work visa, known as an FM3, that not only enables English teachers to work but also provides other benefits like access to the national health care system.

How to Get a Work Visa for Teaching in Mexico?

Mexico is an attractive job market for many because it is possible to gain employment without holding a four-year degree or a passport from a native English-speaking country, as long as you hold an accredited TEFL certification.

Read more: What Are the Requirements for Teaching English in Mexico?

To obtain your mexico work visa you will need to do the following:

  1. Find a job offer
  2. Meet the Mexico work visa & FM3 requirements
  3. Apply for a work visa

Let's explore further how you can receive an FM3 work visa to teach English in Mexico below.

1. Find a Job Offer

First, you need to find a job offer from a school or language center in Mexico that is willing to sponsor your work visa. You can search for job postings online or through job placement agencies.

If you're TEFL certified with International TEFL Academy, ask our Student Affairs department to help you with your job search.

You want to secure a job and receive an 'offer of employment to teach English in Mexico' letter on official letterhead from the school.

2. Meet the Mexico Work Visa & FM3 Requirements

Please note that regulations and requirements are subject to change at any time and the government of Mexico is the final authority on all matters relating to visas for teaching English in Mexico.

Once you have a job offer, you will need to understand the visa requirements. The requirements for obtaining an FM3  Work Visa for Teaching English in Mexico include:

  • No college degree or prior professional teaching experience is necessary.
  • All nationalities are eligible to receive a visa except for citizens of North Korea and Iran.
  • There are no age restrictions for receiving an FM3 visa to teach English in Mexico.
  • TEFL Certification is required.
  • You must provide a letter that includes an offer of employment to teach English in Mexico on official letterhead from the school.

3. Apply for a Work Visa

To apply for an FM3 visa for Mexico, you need to fill out an application form, pay the visa fee, and provide the required documents.

  • Fill out the application form on Mexico's Immigration website.
  • Receive confirmation and request of paperwork from the immigration office (takes about 5-15 days).
  • Pay the $90 application fee via bank transfer, credit card, or direct deposit.

You will then need to submit the following paperwork:

  • Copies of every page of your passport
  • If you are already in Mexico, submit your tourist visa
  • 3 black and white passport photos
  • Proof of residence (can be a hotel or hostel if already in Mexico)
  • Copy of apostilled TEFL Certificate
  • Receive NUT Number from Immigration which allows you to track your application online (takes about 5-10 days)

Once you are cleared for an FM3 Visa, contact a Mexican consulate (must be outside of Mexico such as in the USA, Guatemala, Belize, etc) and receive time to pick up your FM3 Visa:

  • Pay $290 dollars when you arrive at the consulate to pick up your FM3 Visa.
  • You have 15 days to pick up your visa or you must do the entire process all over again.
  • You have 30 days to come back into Mexico after getting your visa. 


Additional Information about Obtaining an FM3 Visa for Teaching English in Mexico

  • Another party, such as your employer, can complete the visa process for you but you must pick up your visa in person.  You must sign a Carta de Poder (letter of authorization) to do this.
  • This entire procedure can be completed online or by visiting an immigration office.
  • The entire process takes approximately 2 weeks
  • The visa can be processed in the teacher’s home country or in Mexico.  However, if it is processed in Mexico, the teacher must leave to pick up their visa from a consulate abroad (many teachers go to the consulate in San Antonio, Texas, for example).
  • Some schools will cover the cost of the visa but it depends on the school.  Some will reimburse the teacher and some will pay for it up front.
  • The visa is good for 12 months but can be renewed easily in Mexico.  If the teacher renews their FM3 three times, they are granted residency in Mexico.
  • You do not have to notify immigration if you switch employers during your time on the FM3 Visa.  You are also able to work for more than one employer.
  • Having an FM3 Visa allows you to open a bank account and to access universal health insurance coverage in Mexico.

Teach English in Mexico TEFL

Teaching English in Mexico on a Tourist Visa

Teaching English professionally while on a tourist visa is not technically legal, but is fairly common throughout Mexico. While few foreign English teachers get in trouble with authorities, those who do may be subject to fines and/or deportation.

To learn more about teaching English abroad without a work visa, please read What Is Teaching English Abroad "Under the Table" Without a Work Visa?

People who choose to do this must do border runs every 180 days when their tourist visa expires.

Teaching English without a work visa will not allow you access to open bank accounts or health insurance.

Go further:


Posted In: , , ,

Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad & Online?

Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.