- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
Can I Earn My University Degree Online While Teaching English Abroad?
Written by: International TEFL Academy
Last Updated: January 10, 2020
By: Tyler Parsons
What’s that old saying about cake and eating and keeping it for yourself? You can’t have your cake and eat it too? Not sure that phrase makes a lot of sense, but the point it’s conveying is that a person can’t have something both ways. That some situations call for a person to choose between two tough options. While that may be true in many cases in life, when it comes to advancing your education or traveling the world, maybe you don’t need to make that choice.
Bottom Line: Can you take university classes online or in-person & earn your degree at the same time you are teaching English abroad?
Yes - I did it myself. I earned my Master's Degree in Marketing while teaching English abroad in Hong Kong.
With the emergence of online education programs, the opportunities to continue your education and earn a degree or advance degree while living abroad have multiplied several times over in just the past decade. Many universities now offer complete online programs, allowing students to take courses while teaching English and traveling the world.
In addition to students earning a degree online, there are opportunities for students to enroll at overseas universities in countries in Europe, Asia, South America and the Middle East, and also in language classes. For those attending a university abroad, teaching English is a great way to supplement your income & boost your skill set & resume by tutoring or working at language schools. One perk of becoming a student in a foreign country is that it often enables you to obtain a student visa. Very often in countries like France, Spain & Italy a student visa provides a legal opportunity to teach and work in those countries.
Whether you are considering earning a degree online or enrolling at a foreign university and teaching English abroad, it’s best to first talk with your ITA admissions advisor and university admissions advisor to create a viable plan.
Watch ITA graduate Tommy Joiner discuss his experience teaching ESL while attending graduate school in Medillin, Colombia.
Tips To Remember When Considering Earning Your Degree Online while Teaching Overseas
As for earning your online degree, let’s take a look at some of the tips and research required before making the decision to study whilst abroad.
Online Degree from U.S. University
Much like when choosing a TEFL school for your certification, there are steps a student should take to ensure they’re enrolling in a school and program that best suit their needs for traveling and being abroad. This includes being mindful of whether any programs you consider for earning your degree online are actually accredited.
1. Are there any components of the program that require students to be present on campus or in the U.S.?
Some universities may require students to physically be on campus for certain modules, trainings, or events to complete graduation or specific units. Perhaps it’s only a one-time event or training, but students should be aware of any such requirement before enrolling and moving abroad.
2. Time Zones & Live Components
Some online classes may require students to be ‘live’ and login during certain times of the week for lectures, presentations, or group work, so students should be aware of this and if it matches the time zone they’re located. If class requires you to be present online at 3:30 am where you are, may want to re-think the program or completely rearranging your schedule.
3. Accessibility of the Online Course
The number one priority for an online class should be being able to access, login and operate the system of the university. This can present challenges in places like China, which may block or limit web access which can block the course site completely or make certain assignments difficult to finish. (Read this article about how English teachers in China work around official website blocks.) Other areas of the world may also have slower internet speeds making downloading assignments, videos, and other readings more difficult. Talk with your advisor or speak with alumni currently living and working in the countries you are looking to live, teach, and study!
International education provides unique opportunities to broaden your horizons & meet new friends while exploring the world.
4. Flexibility with Course Load
Overall, you’re experiencing a truly amazing experience living in a different country and you probably made the decision to teach English abroad to travel, make friends, and immerse yourself in a new culture. Loading yourself with substantial extra school work may detract from opportunities and experiences you dreamed of when hopping on your flight to abroad, so finding a balance between work, school and time to enjoy life is important!
Want to learn more about Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- TEFL Resource Library (Ebooks, Videos, FAQs & More!)
- Alumni Blogs & Articles Index
- Teaching Abroad FAQs & Articles
- Teaching English Abroad - Country Profiles
About the Author: Tyler Parsons
Tyler is California born and raised. After graduating from Chico State University with a BA in journalism, he traded his life on the beach for teaching English in Hong Kong. Now he helps others achieve their goals of teaching & living abroad as an Admissions Advisor at International TEFL Academy
Posted In: Teach English Abroad Visas
Founded in 2010, International TEFL Academy is a world leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad & teaching English online. ITA offers accredited TEFL certification classes online & in 25 locations worldwide and has received multiple awards & widespread recognition as one of the best TEFL schools in the world. ITA provides all students and graduates with lifetime job search guidance. ITA has certified more than 25,000 English teachers and our graduates are currently teaching in 80 countries worldwide.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- What are the Basic Requirements to Teach English Abroad?
- What You Need to Know Before Moving to Spain to Teach English (The Ultimate Super Cheat Sheet)
- How Do U.S. Citizens Obtain a Criminal Background Check for Teaching English Abroad?
- Can I Teach English Abroad with a Criminal Record?
- What Is a Visa and Do I Need a Visa to Teach English Abroad?
- What Is Teaching English Abroad "Under the Table" Without a Work Visa?
- What Are the Basic Requirements for Teaching English in Spain?
- How Do I Obtain a Work Visa to Teach English in Korea?
- How Do I Get a Visa for Teaching English in Japan?
- What Are The Basic Requirements to Teach English in Japan?
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree
- Teaching English and Racism in Spain
- LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Bangkok, Thailand with Brittany
- How Teaching in Korea Helped Me Come Out (or Led Me To Come Out)
- LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Mexico City, Mexico with Robert Blackie
- A Canadian's Guide to the Documents Needed to Teach English in Vietnam