must read

What Type of Visa Can I Use to Teach English in Italy?

Get Italy TEFL Guide

Interested in teaching English in Italy? You're in the right place! Visas are an important part of planning your adventure overseas, so you want to make sure you're familiar with the process before you head abroad. The following is the most common type of visa that can be obtained for teaching English in Italy.

The type of visa you'll need in Italy (and how you get that visa) will depend on your nationality, teaching job and perhaps other factors like whether you get your job in advance of your arrival, or if you get hired locally in Italy. Be sure to speak to an International TEFL Academy Advisor by calling 773-634-9900 to discuss your specific questions and concerns about your visa for teaching English in Italy.

Teach English in Italy TEFL Visa

Nitty Gritty Facts About Visas For Teaching English in Italy:

Name: Tourist Visa or Student Visa

Cost: There is no cost associated with the Tourist Visa (for Americans). The cost of the Student Visa varies from consulate to consulate. Please check with your regional consulate for the most up to date fee for this visa. 

Documents: A Tourist Visa will just require a valid passport. A Student Visa however will require a completed Student Visa application form, a recent passport-sized photograph, a valid passport with at least two blank pages to affix your visa to (along with a photocopy of your passport information page), an original copy of the official letter of acceptance from an accredited academic institution in Italy, proof of financial means or an affidavit of support, and proof of health insurance coverage abroad.

Length:Student Visa can run from 4-12 months, depending on your program. 

For more information, please check out this list of Italian Consulates in the United States.

**Please note that information on this page applies to US citizens specifically. Visa laws and requirements are constantly changing so make sure to check with your local Italian consulate for the most up to date information.

Visa Process for Teaching English in Italy

The Process For Obtaining a Visa to Teach English in Italy:

Requirements for obtaining a Tourist Visa or a Student Visa for working in Italy:

Tourist Visa

This is the most common visa that teachers teach on in Italy. This visa is stamped into your passport upon arrival in Italy and is good for 90 days. The teacher will technically be working under the table on this visa. Once these 90 days have expired teachers will continue to reside in Italy and work under the table. There can be consequences associated with overstaying your visa, that you should be aware of. There is no cost to get this visa.

some text

Student Visa

This type of visa is obtained if you are participating in classes at a school or organization that can sponsor you to stay for the length of the program. These visas can run from 4-12 months, depending on the program. It gives teachers the legal right to work in Italy for up to 20 hours a week. Application documents typically include the following items:

  • Completed Student Visa application form
  • Recent passport-size photograph
  • Valid passport with at least two blank pages to affix the visa, and a photocopy of your passport information page.
  • Original and copy of the official letter of acceptance from an accredited academic institution in Italy.
  • Proof of financial means for the duration of your stay in Italy OR an affidavit of support if the applicant doesn’t have own funds. parents come with the applicant to the interview, or notarized by a Notary Public;
  • Proof of health insurance coverage abroad.

Student should plan to submit their application for a student visa in person at the consulate that serves their region at least 90 days before their program starts.


Posted In: Teach English in Europe, Teach English in Italy, Teach English Abroad Visas

Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad & Online?

Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.