- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
Can I Secure a Job in Advance for Teaching English in Europe?
Written by: Havvah Holl
Last Updated: January 10, 2020
By: Havvah Holl
Europe is a popular market for potential TEFL teachers, however, it can be daunting because most positions for non-EU teachers are secured locally on the ground after you’ve arrived in the country. While common practice, it doesn’t offer the same peace of mind as securing a position in advance, when you know that you have a job waiting for you. The good news is that if you are set on being in Europe, and prefer to have a job secured before heading overseas there are some great options available in a variety of top job markets.
Schools in the following countries hire in advance for Europe, either through a government program, or by direct recruiting through job boards & other channels.
Russia – Teachers who want to teach English in Russia can secure a position by applying directly to schools or with select recruiters in advance. There's a high demand for teachers in Russia, so teachers can find work year round.
- 5 Reasons Why Russia is a Top Job Market for Teaching English Abroad
- Alumni Stories: Interviews with ITA Alumni Teaching English in Russia
Turkey – English Teachers in Turkey can secure a position in advance of arriving. Interested teachers can apply directly to schools, and some recruiters for positions in Turkey. Like Russia, the demand for ESL teachers is much higher than the amount arriving so it is possible to secure a position all year round. Primary job markets include major cities like Istanbul & Ankara. If you seek a Mediterranean vibe complete with beautiful beaches, fantatistic Greco-Roman ruins & awesome cuisine, Turkey is hard to beat a location to live and teach.
Poland – Teachers can secure a position in advance in Poland through job boards, or by applying directly to schools in Poland. English teachers are typically hired to start teaching in September or January. Learn more about teaching English in Poland.
Hungary – English teachers in Hungary typically secure a position through the Central European Teaching Program, which only hires in advance. This program places teachers directly in positions throughout Hungary. Learn more about teaching English in Hungary.
While these programs give you less flexibility with your location (and pay is often lower than in the private sector), they are a great option if you want to secure a position teaching in Spain in advance. Please note that most of these programs seek applicants with a working knowledge of Spanish language. Learn more about teaching English in Spain.
France – The Teaching Assistant Program in France is very competitive, but is the best option for Americans teachers who want to work in France. Some teachers may also get a job in advance teaching in some summer camps. Learn more about teaching English in France.
Want to learn more about Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- Can Americans Teach English in Europe?
- What is the Schengen Region in Europe?
- Teaching English and Traveling in Europe
About the Author: Havvah Holl
A native Midwesterner, Havvah bought a one-way ticket to China in 2007 and ended up teaching English in Kunming for 3 years. In addition to helping hundreds of ITA students gain employment abroad each year as a senior representative of the Student Affairs Department, Havvah is an active member of ITA's Alumni & Charity departments.
Posted In: Teach English in Europe
A native Midwesterner, Havvah bought a one-way ticket to China in 2007 and ended up teaching English in Kunming for 3 years. In addition to helping hundreds of ITA students gain employment abroad each year as a senior representative of the Student Affairs Department, Havvah is an active member of ITA's Charity department.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- What Are the Basic Requirements for Teaching English in Spain?
- 10 International Celebrations & Festivals You Need On Your Bucket List!
- I'm an American Who Wants to Teach English in France - What Are My Options?
- What You Need to Know Before Moving to Spain to Teach English (The Ultimate Super Cheat Sheet)
- Can I Make Money as a Private Tutor While Teaching English Abroad?
- What is the TAPIF Program for Teaching English in France? [Updated for 2020]
- How Do U.S. Citizens Obtain a Criminal Background Check for Teaching English Abroad?
- How Long Are Contracts For Teaching English Abroad?
- How to Find Private English Teaching Jobs in Madrid, Spain
- What Are the Requirements to Teach English in Italy?
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree