- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
A Day In the Life of a Student in the Rome, Italy TEFL Class
Written by: Lynda Galea
Last Updated: April 5, 2018
International TEFL Academy is proud to offer a world-class 4-week Rome TEFL Course at our partner TEFL school’s headquarters located in the heart of Rome, Italy. Employing a state-of-the-art curriculum and taught by expert university-level instructors, this course is designed to provide you with the skills & qualification you need to succeed in teaching English abroad. This course is fun and you will learn a ton, but it is also very demanding and requires that you be prepared to meet the full-time demands of a rigorous university-level course. To help you prepare for this course, we've put together a typical day in the life schedule to outline the daily grind and commitment required.
As you don’t start at the training centre until 12:00am you can have a lie-in, enjoy a fabulous Italian breakfast in one of the many cafes close your home-stay and then make your way to the TEFL in Italy training centre.
12:00am: Arrive at TEFL class in Rome, Italy
Today you have an input session where you will learn about more detailed phonology. You will focus on phonetic transcription which is part of your Learner profile assignment for this week. You will be assigned a private student to interview about their specific needs for learning English. This input session will enable you to phonetically transcribe your students spoken English to help you focus on their fossilized pronunciation errors.
13:00: Input Session on Language Awareness
This afternoon you will learn about Conditionals within English grammar. This session will take you through the various approaches of how to teach Conditionals to your students using the engage, study and activate process and ways to deliver the class in a fun and dynamic way.
14:00 - 15:00: Lunch!
Rome is full of fabulous cafes and restaurants with some of the best food in the world. The Antico Forno alle Serpenti is one of the historic cafes in the Monti district located in Via dei Serpenti in Rome. Here you can get some of the best breads and pizzas at great prices! Doppio Gusto on Via Venttiquatro Maggio and Caesar Pizza on Via Magnanapoli are also excellent places to grab a slice of Italian pizza!
15:00: Input Session on Classroom Methodology
Today you are going to learn about error correction & collection techniques. In groups you will discuss the errors you have heard your students making during the teaching practice sessions. You will then learn how to collect and correct your student’s errors in different ways and then role-play the new techniques learned.
16:00: Guided Preparation
You are due to teach tomorrow, you will now get the chance to discuss your lesson plan with your tutor and check that all your resources are relevant and that your class aims can be met. You
17:30 - 19:30: Teaching Practice
Tonight, you will be observing your peers teach the B2 group classes. There are 8 Italian students learning phrasal verbs. You will make notes on the teaching resources used, the lesson plan and the overall delivery of the class.
19:30 - 20:30: Feedback
You will now have time to complete your peer-feedback form and give your thoughts on the lesson observed with your other peers. Your course tutor will then give feedback based on the lesson plan and materials used.
9pm: Time to relax!
You head off for a beer and a pizza with your peers in the trendy Trastevere neighborhood and discuss the day. You then head to your home-stay to get a good night sleep so that you can be up early in the morning to work on your Learner profile assignment that needs to be handed in at the end of the week.
Want to Learn More about TEFL Certification for Teaching English Abroad?
Your first step is to speak with expert advisor who will cover all of your options & questions. Contact International TEFL Academy now for a free brochure and to speak with an admissions advisor. You can also call us directly at 773-634-9900.
An accomplished traveler (she's visited 40 countries!), Lynda hails from Melbourne, Australia. Since she joined ITA in 2017, Lynda has become a primary expert on the field of teaching English online. Not only has she published numerous articles on the topic herself, but she has worked with International TEFL Academy alumni around the world to produce an entire library of information and content about teaching English online. Lynda also serves as a primary organizer of ITA's ground-breaking Teach Abroad Film Festival.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- 10 Things You Need to Know to Prepare for Your TEFL Class in Heredia, Costa Rica
- What is Accreditation for TEFL Certification Really All About?
- Is ITA's Online TEFL Certification Course Valid and Accredited?
- Online or Onsite - Which TEFL Certification Course is Right for You?
- Who Teaches International TEFL Academy's Online TEFL Certification Course?
- Where will I stay when I take my international TEFL course?
- Can I Teach English Abroad Without Teaching Experience or an Education Degree?
- What TEFL Certification is best for Teaching English in Asia? [Expert Tips]
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 5 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree
- Top 5 Countries to Make the Most Money Teaching English Abroad in 2020
- TEFL, TESOL & CELTA: What Class Do I Need for Teaching English Abroad?
- The Path from Global Corporate Communication to Teaching Business English in France
- Teaching English in Santiago, Chile - Alumni Q&A with Erin Durian
- Teaching English in Vietnam: Celebrating Tet - The Lunar New Year
- Happy Chinese New Year! Teaching English in Asia During Holidays
- LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Mexico City, Mexico with Kyle