Contact International TEFL Academy for brochures and to have an advisor assist you...

Which direction will you go?

[Click to edit the title]


Looking for tips on financing your teaching abroad experience? 

We've got a free guide for you!

finanical guide to teaching english abroad angle get it now B 200w


Free download - destinations and salaries Country Chart Comparisons

Follow Me

[Click to edit the title]

Most Popular FAQs

[Click to edit the title]

Search FAQs by Topics

Browse by Tag

[Click to edit the title]

Request a FREE TEFL Brochure


Follow Me

[Click to edit the title]

Frequently Asked Questions about TEFL Certification and Teaching English Abroad

Current Articles | RSS Feed RSS Feed

Can I teach English abroad without a degree?


Can I teach English abroad without a university degree?

YES.  You can teach English abroad in certain countries without a four-year university degree. 

Even without a four-year university degree, a native, or even a fluent non-native English speaker with a TEFL / TESOL Certification from International TEFL Academy can realistically find great opportunities in dozens of countries around the world including Spain, Costa Rica, Russia, China, and some nations in Latin America and Eastern Europe. Thousands of TEFL certified English teachers without a four-year degree gain employment as English teachers around the world each year.

In Taiwan, a native English speaker with an associate’s degree (typically a two-year degree) with a TEFL certification from International TEFL Academy can work as an English teacher and may be able to make enough to save up to $500 a month or more after expenses.

That said, bear in mind that in most cases schools will prefer candidates who do have four-year degrees, so you may need to be more persistent and patient in your job search. In many countries like China and Russia you should expect to be more flexible in considering matters like location when looking at job opportunities, especially when beginning your career teaching English abroad. 

To learn more, check out this article:  No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree.

For your reference this link to our Country Chart provides basic information about working and getting hired in approximately 50 countries around the world, including information where you can teach without a degree, ESL hiring seasons, foreign English teacher salaries, extra benefits and the interview process.



shall i have the brochure please for more info. 
thanks in advance
Posted @ Monday, April 23, 2012 5:53 AM by Anila Sula
Anila if you want a brochure simply go to a contact form and fill out your information.
Posted @ Monday, April 23, 2012 9:18 AM by International TEFL Academy
Is the International TEFL course accepted in Saudi Arabia?
Posted @ Tuesday, June 26, 2012 11:22 AM by Zaida
Hi Zaida, yes our TEFL course is recognized and accepted worldwide. Here is an article for you
Posted @ Tuesday, June 26, 2012 11:34 AM by International TEFL Academy
My degree is in Kinesiology, not English. Will that make a difference when looking for teaching jobs abroad?
Posted @ Thursday, September 06, 2012 8:14 AM by Hannah
Hi just looking at this website what is the best way to go around teaching english abroad if you don't have a degree ? :)
Posted @ Friday, January 04, 2013 2:14 AM by Courtney
Hi Courtney, 
It is simple,  
a) take a TEFL class 
b) go to country that hires people without a 4 year degree (which is about 50% of the world) 
Call and speak with an advisor (773-634-9900) or reqest a brochure with lists of the top countries to work without a degree:
Posted @ Friday, January 04, 2013 4:32 PM by International TEFL Academy
Hi i would like to find out how can i obtain a TEFL qualification?
Posted @ Saturday, January 26, 2013 2:44 AM by Duduza
Hi Abeer, 
I don't know what "legibible residency" is you are refering to. You can take our class in Chicago this summer, Tuition is $ 1,995 USD plus housing expenses. You would come on a tourist visa. You will need to call us in Chicago at 773-634-9900 between 10am and 7pm Chicago time (central). A phone interview and then a written essay is needed to pass the English requirement to be accepted.
Posted @ Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:11 PM by International TEFL Academy
I am interested in this opportunity,yet I need to know when does your course start so i can go and start teaching.I am also Syrian ,not sure that the embassy may grant me a visa. 
Posted @ Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:43 AM by ABEER
Is it possible to teach abroad and get my degree? I dont have a 4 year degree but I will like to work on getting one while I teach.
Posted @ Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:24 AM by Alex
Hi Alex, you will be working about 40 hours a week teaching abroad (class time and prep time). You can do whatever you want on your free time but realistically you are in a country to enjoy your time there instead of going to college at night. You can do whatever you want but realistically you should go teach, enjoy this once in a lifetime experience and go to college the next year. It's your option with your time and money to do as you please.
Posted @ Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:46 AM by International TEFL Academy
English is my second lenguage but I have been living in Canada for the last 20 years and have held postion of Executive Director for the last 10 years. I have a bachelor degree from non English speaking country. Please let me know if I pass TEFL would I be eligible to teach English in any country.
Posted @ Saturday, March 02, 2013 9:50 PM by
Would I be able to enrol on a TEFL course class if I do not obtain any degree, or am I only able to take the one via Internet? 
Posted @ Sunday, March 03, 2013 2:40 PM by James
Hi James, yes you can enrol in one of our TEFL courses without a degree. Please call us at 773-634-9900 or fill out a request form at:
Posted @ Sunday, March 03, 2013 4:03 PM by International TEFL Academy
Hi Mira, 
You can teach English in a lot of countries even if English is not yoru first language. Things employers want are fluency in English (little or no accent) and half the countries can only hire you legally based on your citizenship. PPlease call us and speak with an admission advisor at 773-634-9900 or fill out a request form at:
Posted @ Sunday, March 03, 2013 4:06 PM by International TEFL Academy
My fiance and I are seriously considering doing this, but he is worried.We would feel alot more relaxed knowing the average amount of time it takes to get a job after completing an online course.We both have associate degrees( two year degrees). Would most countries be willing to house us together?Do we get help with job placement? We were perhaps considering Europe or Asia....What countries would we be able to quickly( and legally....i read about the 57 teachers in China) get a job? Thank you for your time and patience.
Posted @ Monday, March 18, 2013 3:10 AM by Jennifer
Hi Jennifer, 
First, you two have lots of questions which can not be answered in a blog, that is why we have brochures and articles to answer them. You are also required to speak with an admission advisor prior to registration, this person will speak with you two as much as you need to understand the process and map out a plan. Trying to figure out how things work without literature and an advisor never works. 
1) Here is a link to some FAQs: 
2) Here is a link to you two going together: 
3) Interviewing: If you go to a country where you interview in advance (such as China) you do this 2-3 months prior to the time you start a job. If you are looking at China there are tens of thousands of schools hiring so you want to take your time to pick a right place, but you could figure it out in a few weeks of back and forth interviewing and research. If you go to a country where you interview face to face, you walk up to the school, interview and ask for the job. If you are there the right time of year (yes there are lots of wrong times of year), you should have a in 1-2 weeks (some are hired immediately and work they next day, most start the next week).  
Call us at 773-634-9900 or fill out a request for a brochure form:
Posted @ Monday, March 18, 2013 1:33 PM by International TEFL Academy
Hi! I really want to teach abroad in Mexico City for summer of 2013. I was wondering how can I go about if I do not have my TESOL certificate? I do hold a bachelors degree in Early childhood education. Will that be enough to obtain a paid job for the summer? Thank you.
Posted @ Thursday, May 16, 2013 8:06 PM by Yadi
Hi Yadi, 
You don't have a TESOL certificate and want to teach English.... That is the point, you get TEFL certified through International TEFL Academy. Please contact us and speak to an advisor about your options.
Posted @ Monday, May 20, 2013 3:04 PM by International TEFL Academy
Hi,I am single and would love to teach English,but i wonder if there her countries who take single English teachers. Also,i have abachelors degree,but no TEFL certificate.which school can i register with and how long is it going to take.
Posted @ Monday, June 10, 2013 6:36 AM by obehi
Hi Obehi, if you want to look at taking our TEFL certification course, fill out a contact form for more information:
Posted @ Wednesday, June 12, 2013 12:33 PM by International TEFL Academy
university degrees help open up more jobs,but does it have to be an MA TESOL and or can a degree be in something completely unrelated plus the certificate and still stand out more than those with only TEFL CERTIFICATES
Posted @ Saturday, July 06, 2013 3:37 PM by Crystal
While extremely useful, an MA in TESOL is not necessary to teach English abroad. Most schools/countries that require 4-year degrees do not require that it be in a related field. 
Posted @ Tuesday, July 09, 2013 11:07 AM by ITA
Hi. I was looking for some opportunities to teach English in The US because I have my degree and my postgraduate in Education and foreign language teaching but they demanded to get a teacher's license. Can I get it with you? How is this process? Or if I take the tesol certification course is it the same? 
Thanks a lot!
Posted @ Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:42 PM by Shirley
Is it possible to get a position teaching English in a foreign country without being fluent in that nation's native language?
Posted @ Tuesday, September 24, 2013 4:33 PM by Dale
What's the best recommended BA degree to hold in order to get a job?
Posted @ Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:43 PM by Alissa
Hi Alissa, 
A BA degree in any subject qualifies you (with a TEFL certification and fluent English skills) to teach English abroad.  
Study something in college you are interested in not just to get a degree to teach for 1 year overseas.  
If education is your calling, look at a BA in Education.
Posted @ Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:46 PM by International TEFL Academy
Why don't I get an answer to my question?
Posted @ Saturday, October 26, 2013 1:24 PM by Dale
Hi Dale, 
1) Here is an index of over 100 articles and FAQs: 
2) Regarding teaching English without speaking another language: Please read this article: 
3) Please request a brochure or call to speak to an admission advisor about all your questions on TEFL certification and teaching abroad:
Posted @ Saturday, October 26, 2013 2:04 PM by International TEFL Academy
hi, i just wanted to know that if i didnt have an english degree with the tefl course would i still be able to teach in the middle east?  
and if a person who wants to do the TEFL course doesnt have any Alevels can they still do the TEFL course and teach without A levels?
Posted @ Tuesday, December 17, 2013 7:19 AM by
Hi, I obtained TEFL certificate and been teaching in China for 8 years. I'm not a degree holder myself and TEFL cert helped me alot in teaching profession. Btw, I am planning to teach in other country like Spain. Do you have any suggestions on how to apply in other country? Thank you and more power! Fleur
Posted @ Friday, April 04, 2014 1:41 PM by Fleur
Post Comment
Website (optional)

Allowed tags: <a> link, <b> bold, <i> italics