- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
What are the Requirements to Teach English in Taiwan?
Written By: Jeff Penick | Updated: July 19, 2021
Written By: Jeff Penick
Updated: July 19, 2021
Most people that initially teach English in Taiwan find jobs working with recruiters or by applying directly with schools on job boards. The basic qualifications required by schools for teaching English in Taiwan are outlined below.
To teach English in Taiwan, you must meet these basic requirements:
Citizenship from one of the following countries: US, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand
Bachelor’s degree or higher in any field
****There is an exception to this requirement. One organization, Hess International Education Group, hires teachers who possess an Associate’s Degree (commonly known as an "AA" degree) in addition to a TEFL certification.
As of 2019, a clean FBI criminal background check (US citizens)/national criminal background check (minor traffic violations will not disqualify you)
- TEFL Certification: Though not technically a legal requirements, reputable private language schools in Taiwan will typically require that their teachers be TEFL certified. Quality schools offering quality jobs typically are not interested in hiring teachers who have not received proper training.
TEFL teachers applying for jobs in Taiwan should expect to have the following documents available:
International resume/CV and cover letter
A couple bonus documents recommended to have available: sample lesson plans, copies of Bachelor’s/Associate’s degree apostilled or authenticated.
Side note: Most teachers that work in Taiwan will enter on a passport stamp or on a tourist visa if needed, then process their actual work visa after they arrive with assistance from their school or employer.
Prior to joining ITA in 2011, Jeff spent two years teaching English in Seoul, South Korea. He used the money he saved while teaching in Korea to fund a year of travel in Asia and South America. Jeff has more than 10 years of professional experience in the fields of TEFL & teaching English abroad. As a senior team member, he has published numerous articles about all facets of teaching abroad and he has personally helped hundreds of ITA grads achieve their goals of teaching English overseas.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- 11 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- 10 Things They Don't Tell You About Living in South Korea
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 11 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 6 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- The Pros & Cons of Teaching English in Madrid, Spain
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Teach English Online With More Than One Company
- International TEFL Academy Named to Inc. 5000 List of Fastest-Growing Private Companies
- 13 Non-Chinese ESL Companies to Teach English Online With
- How My Quarantine TEFL Certification Experience Changed My Life