must read

What Type of Visa Can I Use to Teach English in Peru?

Interested in teaching English in Peru? You're in the right place! Visas are an important part of planning your adventure overseas, so you want to make sure you're familiar with the process before you head abroad. The following is the most common type of visa that can be obtained for teaching English in Peru.

The type of visa you'll need in Peru (and how you get that visa) will depend on your nationality, teaching job and perhaps other factors like whether you get your job in advance of your arrival, or if you get hired locally in Peru. Be sure to speak to an International TEFL Academy Advisor by calling 773-634-9900 to discuss your specific questions and concerns about your visa for teaching English in Peru.

Nitty Gritty Facts About Visas For Teaching English in Peru:

Name: Tourist Visa

Cost: No fee

Documents: Valid passport

Length: 30 – 90 days. Unfortunately, border hopping to extend your visa is no longer possible since August 2021. Overstaying this limit may result in fines (currently $1USD per day.)

Since the Peru consulate sites can be down, visit Travel.State.Gov for visa requirements. Otherwise, keep checking back here.

The Process For Obtaining a Visa to Teach English in Peru:

Please note: Since August 2021, most tourists will be issued a 90-day tourist visa at the point of entry and additional visa extensions have been suspended indefinitely. Foreigners who are in the country on an expired tourist visa/authorization to enter as a tourist have to pay the overstay fee of S/4.40 (0.1% of a UIT) per day they overstayed when leaving.

The process for obtaining a tourist visa in Peru is extremely straightforward for U.S. citizens, you just land in Peru and your tourist visa is issued at the airport upon arrival. 

Most commonly in Latin America, Peru included, tourist visas are the norm. While other countries in the region allow the practice of border hopping in order to extend a tourist visa (staying in a country 183 days out of a year), this is no longer possible in Peru due to its new visa regulations. Therefore, the standard visa procedure in this country will only allow you to stay for three months. 

Once in Peru, you’ll be issued a stamp on your passport which will act as your visa, and you'll need to make sure you are out of the country after 90 days in order not to pay for overstaying. 

Get TEFL Certified and teach English in Peru

Be sure to talk with your ITA Advisor about visas before you head overseas to Peru or enroll in your TEFL class.


Posted In: , , ,

Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad & Online?

Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.