- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
City Fact Sheet: Changhua, Taiwan
Written by: Lynda Galea
Last Updated: November 16, 2020
To help our students and graduates make a smooth transition to their new lives teaching English abroad, we've enlisted our ITA Ambassadors to provide us with insider facts and tips for making the most of life in major cities around the globe like Changhua, Taiwan.
Whether it's finding an English-speaking doctor, opening a bank account, or simply finding a supermarket where you can find the odd comfort food from home (peanut butter!), our ambassadors have actionable on-the-ground-tips to help you feel at home in your new home city. Please note that things change and we will do our best to keep these "Fact Sheets" updated over time and that current and future ambassadors will continue to provide the most accurate and up-to-date information possible.
Meet our Changhua Ambassador!
|Visa Type||Work Visa|
|North American Comfort Food Locations||
Here's a few that I've found:
PX MART (Grocery Store)
7-11 (Convenient Store)
Family Mart: Very similar to 7-11
UBIKE (Bike Rental)
Sign up via the app first and link a credit card. First 30 minutes are free
MRT - Train
Get an EASYCARD from any 7-11 or Family Mart and add money to it. It gets you on and off the trains. You can stand or sit on the floor. For a reserved seat, you can buy at the station or online and pick up with your passport or ARC card. The school will take your passport to process your VISA so make sure you have a copy of it. You can buy your tickets here.
They run around 8-10,000 NTD ($260+ USD). You can buy them from teachers that are leaving Taiwan at your school or online. Check the Taichung Swap Shop Facebook group page. It's the city closest to Changhua that has more of an expat community.
|Hospitals & Doctors (English Speaking)||
I recommend Christian Hospital. They are all over, and yes, that is the name.
|Beauty Supply Stores, Hairdressers & Barbers||
|Bank Account Location||
Taiwan Cooperative Bank - No. 43 Xiayang Road, Changhua City
Some options I enjoy:
1. Pizza Rock: American style pizza and American movies playing on the TV. American music playing too.
2. McDonalds: Just like in the US.
3. Subway: Just like in the US.
4. Uptowner: Nearby city Taichung
5. Smokey Joe's: Nearby city Taichung - Tex-Mex/American-style burgers, fries, and wings!
Some places of interest I enjoy are:
Topcity Mall (Taichung): Has a cool, American-style ice cream shop called Emack & Bolio's with waffle cones covered in rice crispies and marshmallow, fruit loops, and other fun stuff.
Taroko Mall (Taichung): No taking stairs, you can ride down a slide to the first floor!
Hello Kitty Bowling: In Taroko Mall.
SHOWTIME Cinema (Taichung): Reserved seating and the option to add a churro.
Stable Fly: Open Fri-Sun, 12pm - 12am. Craft beer, stationary corner with free use of markers, pens, chargers for your phone, leather couches to lounge on, and a cool, artist smoke-free vibe (smoke-free vibes are rare).
Aiya Bungu: Open Tues - Sun 12pm - 8pm. The coolest hipster stationary store/coffee shop ever! It seriously feels like something that should be in a hip part of Brooklyn, NY.
3rd Floor Studio: Think a local version of West Elm with a Japanese Flair. It's above Aiya Bungu with the same hours.
|Permanent Housing Resources||
My school director helped me. Although I know some other teachers that have used these sites:
|Expat Community Resources||
Just hit search and see what's happening around you. Taichung and Taipei are my favorite places to see what's happening this weekend, etc.
Some helpful information to know:
International Drivers License
Want to learn more about Teaching English Abroad?
Download your free starter guide or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- Teaching English in Taiwan: Country Profile
- Why You Should Teach English in Taiwan - the Heart of Asia
- Lost & Found - Teaching English in Taiwan
- Taiwan Alumni Facebook Group: Only enrolled students & alumni may post, but anybody can check out the conversation between ITA grads teaching English in Taiwan on a wide array of topics from job tips and apartment hunting to recreational activities & social meet-ups.
An accomplished traveler (she's visited 40 countries!), Lynda hails from Melbourne, Australia. Since she joined ITA in 2017, Lynda has become a primary expert on the field of teaching English online. Not only has she published numerous articles on the topic herself, but she has worked with International TEFL Academy alumni around the world to produce an entire library of information and content about teaching English online. Lynda also serves as a primary organizer of ITA's ground-breaking Teach Abroad Film Festival.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- What are Salaries for English Teachers in China?
- One English Teacher's 5 Top Tips for Dealing With Culture Shock in Taiwan
- Where Will Schools Hire Me In Advance To Teach English Abroad?
- The Top 9 Public Transportation Systems Around the World
- What is a Hagwon for Teaching English in South Korea?
- I Don't Speak Japanese (But I'm Teaching English in Japan!)
- What are Salaries for English Teachers in Japan?
- Taipei to Seoul: 5 Top Asian Cities For Teaching English Abroad
- What Type of Visa Can I Use to Teach English in Taiwan?
- What are the Requirements to Teach English in Taiwan?
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree
- Teaching English in Florence & Rome, Italy - Alumni Q&A with Laura Tressel
- Your Digital ITA TEFL Certificate: The What, Why, & How?
- Immunizations, Prescriptions, and Mental Health Abroad
- 8 FAQs About Teaching English Online
- 10 Reasons Why International TEFL Academy Offers the Best TEFL Certification for Teaching English Abroad & Online in 2020