- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
Where will I stay when I take my international TEFL course?
Written by: International TEFL Academy
Last Updated: November 30, 2020
After you enroll in an international TEFL/TESOL certification course by making your deposit, you will be put in touch with the onsite course director who will be able to assist you with making housing arrangements during your course. Tuition does not include your housing; costs will vary by location, but most options for most courses will range between $300 and $1,000 over four weeks. In some cases, students are required to pay for their housing up-front; in others, a deposit may be required. If you have any questions about housing options and costs for specific courses, please review the web page for that course on our website and contact your TEFL Advisor who will be able to assist you with any questions.
Shared Apartments & Guesthouses
For most courses, students may opt to stay in a shared apartment with other students. In a shared apartment, students will have their own bedroom, but will share common facilities such as a living room, bathroom and a kitchen. Meals aren’t included, but you can prepare your own food in the communal kitchen.
Hostels are budget-friendly hotels where guests may stay in a common sleeping area, or they can arrange to stay in a private own rooms. Hostels where students stay are conveniently located near their course site and have been fully vetted for cleanliness and safety.
Homestays are primarily available for our students taking courses in Central and South America as well as Russia. Staying with a local family is a great way to immerse yourself in the local culture and to work on your language skills. In most cases, host families provide breakfast and dinner, and will enjoy spending time during meals chatting with students. Most families will have children and are conveniently located near the course site. You will have your own bedroom and use either a shared or private bathroom. You will be given a key to the house or apartment and are free to come and go as you please. However, as a guest living with a host family, you should be sure to respect the rules of the house and
the people you are staying with.
All homestay families are carefully screened and must meet stringent requirements. Most families have experience hosting foreign students, but they will still be eager to learn about life in your home country, so be prepared to share some photos and perhaps some other souvenirs from home.
Making your own arrangements
Students also have the option of making their own arrangements (e.g. staying with friends or family), however we recommend that upon enrollment you speak with your onsite course director prior to making any final arrangements so that you can be sure that any arrangements you make are practical and convenient.
For your reference this link to our Country Chart provides basic information about working and getting hired in approximately 50 countries around the world, including information on ESL hiring seasons, salaries for English teachers, extra benefits, cost of living, the interview process for English teaching jobs and more.
Posted In: TEFL Certification
Founded in 2010, International TEFL Academy is a world leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad & teaching English online. ITA offers accredited TEFL certification classes online & in 25 locations worldwide and has received multiple awards & widespread recognition as one of the best TEFL schools in the world. ITA provides all students and graduates with lifetime job search guidance. ITA has certified more than 25,000 English teachers and our graduates are currently teaching in 80 countries worldwide.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- What is Accreditation for TEFL Certification Really All About?
- How Will I Complete the Practice Teaching for My Online TEFL Course?
- How Quickly Can I Get TEFL Certified and Begin Teaching English Abroad?
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- TEFL / TESOL / TESL / CELTA / DELTA - What’s The Difference?
- A 7-Step Plan for How to Teach English Abroad in 2021
- Can I Teach English Abroad Without Teaching Experience or an Education Degree?
- What Are Basic Start-up Costs for Teaching English Abroad?
- Coronavirus FAQs: TEFL & Teaching English Abroad or Online - What Are My Options?
- Is ITA's Online TEFL Certification Course Valid and Accredited?
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- 10 Things They Don't Tell You About Living in South Korea
- Teaching English in Florence & Rome, Italy - Alumni Q&A with Laura Tressel
- Your Digital ITA TEFL Certificate: The What, Why, & How?
- Immunizations, Prescriptions, and Mental Health Abroad
- 8 FAQs About Teaching English Online
- 10 Reasons Why International TEFL Academy Offers the Best TEFL Certification for Teaching English Abroad & Online in 2020