must read

What Type of Visa Can I Use to Teach English in Argentina?

Interested in teaching English in Argentina? You're in the right place! Visas are an important part of planning your adventure overseas, so you want to make sure you're familiar with the process before you head abroad. The following is the most common type of visa that can be obtained for teaching English in Argentina.

The type of visa you'll need in Argentina (and how you get that visa) will depend on your nationality, teaching job and perhaps other factors like whether you get your job in advance of your arrival, or if you get hired locally in Argentina. Be sure to speak to an International TEFL Academy Advisor by calling 773-634-9900 to discuss your specific questions and concerns about your visa for teaching English in Argentina.

Nitty Gritty Facts About Visas For Teaching English in Argentina:

Name: Tourist Visa

Cost: No cost as this will just be a stamp in your passport. You will not obtain an actual visa. For the aforementioned countries there is no longer an Argentina Reciprocity Fee required.

Documents: You may be required to provide proof of onward travel or a return ticket (to prove you will not be overstaying your 90 days), evidence of funds and a valid passport with blank pages.

Length: 90 days - Overstaying your tourist visa in Argentina is not recommended. If you have exceeded your 90-day limit you could be faced with penalty charges per day you have overstayed.

Teach English in Argentina TEFL Visa

The Process For Obtaining a Visa to Teach English in Argentina:

You will receive a stamp in your passport upon entry to Argentina that allows you to stay in the country for 90 days.  No actual document/visa will be issued. 

Most commonly in Latin America, Argentina included, tourist visas are the norm therefore teachers border hop so they can stay for an extended period of time.  The standard visa procedure in these regions is teaching on a tourist visa while “border hopping,” which basically means that you are crossing over a border to another country to get a new visa. 

This option is a bit easier and just requires you to jump on over to a bordering country like Uruguay.  When you return to Argentina they will give you a new stamp which gives you another 90 days.  As of right now there is no minimum amount of time you must stay outside of Argentina meaning you might be able to leave and return in the same day.

While it may seem to be a bit of an inconvenience, many view this as an opportunity to travel and explore nearby countries! 

If you want to renew your tourist visa in Argentina, this option is a little more complicated as it involves going to an Immigration Office in Argentina.

There is usually a long line and you are required to have two photocopies of your passport (one of your picture page and one of the last passport stamp that was given upon entry).  You will need to fill out a Spanish form and pay the current renewal fee, approximately 300-600 pesos (cash only - approximately $11-$22 USD), for the additional 90 days.  They might also require proof of onward travel at that point as you can’t renew your tourist visa in country twice in a row. 

Be sure to talk with your ITA Advisor about visas before you head overseas to Argentina or enroll in your TEFL Class.


Posted In: , , ,

Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad & Online?

Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.