4. Get a police check
As I’m currently writing this, Vietnam isn’t super strict with their police check laws. Unlike other countries such as South Korea, Vietnam does not require a federal background check in order to be employed within the country. In fact, you can honestly just get your background check from your state and order it online within hours, and even minutes. PROTIP: Make sure you also obtain a Vietnamese background check once you leave the country!
5. Know that you’ll be living in confusion for a bit
It took me a solid six to eight months to finally feel settled in this city. There’s no way to prepare to live in Ho Chi Minh City in this regard, but don’t get down on yourself if you’re completely lost in confusion and translation for a bit as you find your grounding. Lots, er, almost everything in this country doesn’t seem to make much sense. There’s often no rhyme or reason for some things, and menial tasks such as going to the bank can be somewhat frustrating depending on who is helping you that day. Take it all with a grain of salt, understand that you chose to live in a different country and try to adapt as best you can.
Laura is a 29-year-old serial expat who left the states in 2013 in search of a fresh perspective - a decision which opened more doors than she could’ve imagined. She’s a lover of mountains, spicy food, stand up comedy, and will never turn down a pizza. Laura is one of ITA's Writing & Content Ambassadors.
Want to Learn More about Teaching English Abroad?
If you are excited about teaching English from either the comfort of your own home or anywhere in the world, contact us about TEFL certification options and get ready for a great adventure!
- Visit Vietnam Alumni Ambassador Corner - Find out everything you need to know about Vietnam from our Alumni Ambassadors that have talked the talk and walked the walk!
- Teach English in Vietnam: Country Profile
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam Fact Sheet - Just moved to Ho Chi Minh City? This post will help you navigate your way around in no time!
- 5 Reasons Why I Wanted to Teach English in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Top 5 Things That Surprised Me About Living in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Expert Tips on What to Pack for Teaching English in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- You Know You're in Ho Chi Minh City When...
- Saigon Nightlife: A Personal Tour of the Top Drinking Spots in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- My Home Away from Home - Finding Housing in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.