- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Tulum, Mexico with Chloe
Written by: International TEFL Academy
Last Updated: August 4, 2020
What is your citizenship?
Where are you from?
Santa Barbara, California, USA
How old are you?
What is your education level and background?
Have you traveled abroad in the past?
Yes, I studied abroad in Vietnam and Cambodia and also taught English abroad previously. I've traveled to Brazil, Chile, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Mexico, and Italy.
What sparked your interest in teaching English abroad?
To constantly learn from others while I’m teaching what I’ve learned in life.
What city and country did you decide to teach English in?
I am currently teaching English in Tulum, Mexico.
What did your friends and family think about you moving and teaching abroad?
They were very supportive and didn't believe me.
What were some of your concerns about teaching abroad?
Language barrier, feeling like I made a mistake once I got here and wasting all my savings.
What resources did you find helpful when deciding where to go?
My ITA Advisor, reaching out to friends who have traveled to Tulum, getting involved in Tulum Facebook groups
Please give your thoughts on dating abroad.
Was there anything about being a member of the LGBTQ+ community abroad that was unexpected?
Did being a member of the LGBTQ+ community have an impact on where you decided to teach English?
Sort of, Mexico isn’t really on the map for being very accepting or rejecting of the LGBTQ+ community. However I did know that the leading religion here might be troublesome for people accepting who I am. I probably wouldn’t go somewhere that was notorious for rejecting LGBTQ+ culture.
Did you come out while living abroad? If so, how did your host country and experience influence that decision?
Nope. Came out one night when I had an epiphany and too much wine, so lots of tears.
Tell us about finding your community abroad.
Facebook groups, constantly reaching out and not being afraid of rejection.
What were some of your most memorable experiences teaching English abroad
I’m still teaching abroad, so the memories are in the process!
Did you have any difficult conversations abroad?
Of course. Some very irritating and disheartening language barrier conversations, a lot of defending my preference for polyamorous relationships.
Did you find that locals had any stereotypes? Or did you have any stereotypes about the locals?
Stereotypes about Americans? Yes lol. A lot of trying to bamboozle me monetary wise.
Were there any cultural boundaries you found to be different than your home country? If so, please explain.
Way more PDA is accepted in Mexico
What are your thoughts on safety in your host country abroad, as a member of the LGBTQ+ community?
Tulum specifically is a melting pot so I think it’s more safe here than many other places in Mexico
Have you participated in any Pride celebrations abroad?
Just strutting my stuff at the gay bar *emphasis on the fact that there’s literally only one gay bar here*
Have you had any funny or weird questions from the locals?
Not too out of pocket yet.
Do you have any advice for people planning to move abroad to teach English?Reach out to people who have spent more than a month here, don’t just get advise from quick visit tourists. I’d love to help and answer any questions I can. I’m an open book for the most part :)
Chloe is a California-born and raised woman, out and proud about her sexuality and the fact that she's a Gemini. She follows her heart and travels to keep her body and brain filled with wonder.
Founded in 2010, International TEFL Academy is a world leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad & teaching English online. ITA offers accredited TEFL certification classes online & in 25 locations worldwide and has received multiple awards & widespread recognition as one of the best TEFL schools in the world. ITA provides all students and graduates with lifetime job search guidance. ITA has certified more than 25,000 English teachers and our graduates are currently teaching in 80 countries worldwide.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- 17 Insider Tips for Getting a Job Teaching English in Latin America
- Top 12 Reasons to Teach English in Latin America
- Top Ten Cities to Teach English Abroad in Latin America
- How Can I Get a Work Visa to Teach English in Mexico?
- Teaching English in Puerto Vallarta: Alumni Q&A with Sara McFarlin
- Teaching English in Oaxaca, Mexico: Alumni Q&A with Joseph Schlefke
- Guanajuato, Mexico English Teaching Q and A with Derrick Brown
- Guadalajara, Mexico English Teaching Q and A with Ekaterina Nastina
- Chicago Girl in Guadalajara... Teaching English in Mexico
- Teaching English in Zaragoza, Spain: Alumni Q&A with Alain Saleh
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree
- Teaching English and Racism in Spain
- LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Bangkok, Thailand with Brittany
- How Teaching in Korea Helped Me Come Out (or Led Me To Come Out)
- LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Mexico City, Mexico with Robert Blackie
- A Canadian's Guide to the Documents Needed to Teach English in Vietnam