- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
How to Get a Freelance Visa for Teaching English in Germany
Written by: Tina Angok
Last Updated: April 22, 2021
Visas, Visas, Visas - The topic no one enjoys talking about yet the topic everyone needs to know a lot about. ITA alumna, Tina Angok has been through the visa process firsthand and Tina has been tasked with walking us through the steps she took for her Two-Year German Freelance visa!
- Two Year Freelance Visa (in Berlin, Germany)
Where Did You Process Your Visa?
I processed my visa at the Ausländerbehörde here in Berlin, Germany, two months after I arrived. I did not have to do a visa run to another country.
The documents needed to get a Freelance Visa in Germany include:
- Four (4) passport photos.
- Address registration in Germany: To get your address registered, you need to go to City Hall with your passport and the contract of the place you will be living.
- Medical Insurance: You will need to find an insurance broker (I received a list from SLA), ask for a quote, pick a plan, and pay for your plan.
- Letter(s) of Intent: This is a copy of your employment contract that you can get from your employer.
- Bank Statements.
It may also be beneficial to have:
- Financial statement of your expected yearly costs
- Letter of Motivation
- Document stating how much cash on hand you have
I got my documents from Speakeasy Language Academy and my current employer.
All of these documents were required at my visa appointment. I only needed one (1) copy of each document, but I printed off extra copies for myself.
All of the documents needed to get a visa will be notarized by whoever gives them to you. For example, your employer will notarize your Letter of Intent, your insurance company will notarize your Premium Plan, and the City Hall will notarize your address registration.
My total visa fees came out to 60€ (~$70 USD) and this amount was not reimbursed by my school.
Visa Validity, Renewal & Restrictions
I received my Freelance Visa instantly. As soon as it was processed, they stamped my passport and I was good to go. The visa is valid for two (2) years.
The visa can be renewed by scheduling a new appointment and going through the same process right before my current visa expires.
The only restriction that comes with the Freelance Visa is that I cannot work two jobs at once.
An extremely international Midwestern girl, born in Cario, Egypt, and raised in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Her family is originally from South Sudan, but she has lived in California, Iowa, and Minnesota! Tina chose to teach English abroad because of her passion for travel, enjoyment in helping people, and her interest in different cultures. During the summer of 2014, she studied abroad in Berlin and absolutely fell in love and ended up. back there to teach English.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- My Experiences Teaching English at the University Level in China
- Teaching English and Racism in Spain
- What Are the Basic Requirements for Teaching English in Spain?
- How I Finally Got a Job Teaching English in Switzerland
- What Are The Basic Requirements to Teach English in Japan?
- What are the Basic Requirements to Teach English Abroad?
- South Korea E-2 Visa Requirements for English Teachers
- Teaching English in Yakutsk, Russia: Alumni Q&A with Kristine Bolt
- Living Through The Coronavirus Right Here in China
- 5 Things That Surprised Me About Living in Cologne, Germany
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Things They Don't Tell You About Living in South Korea
- 11 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 6 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online