Do I Need a Passport to Teach English Abroad and How Can I Get One?

passports for teaching English abroad


To be granted entry into a foreign country, you must have a passport valid typically for at least 6 months after your entry into that country, and in some cases you may not be allowed entry into your destination country, or issued an entry visa, without holding a passport that will be valid for a full year. For extended travel and teaching English abroad, we recommend that you travel on a passport with at least 2 years of validity remaining. If you have any questions, you should contact the local consulate for the country you intend to travel to.

Where and how can I get a new passport or an extension to my old one?

U.S. CitizensAmericans teaching English abroad

U.S. citizens can apply  by mail or in-person, typically at major U.S. Post Office locations (check for locations.) If you are overseas (not in your home country), new passports can be obtained at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Detailed information about applying for a U.S. passport can be found at the U.S. State Department's Passport web page.

In the United States, processing a passport can take six weeks to three months. It is possible to have your passport rushed; however this can entail additional costs of up to $100 or more.

Passport for Teaching English abroad


Citizens of Canada can check the Passport Canada Website for step-by-step instructions for how to obtaining a passport in their home country or abroad. 


teaching english abroad - Australia


Australian can visit the Foreign Ministry's Passport Page to learn how to apply for or renew a passport. 


New Zealanders

teaching english abroad - New Zealanders

Citizens of New Zealand can visit the Department of Internal Affairs Passport Website to learn how to apply for or renew a passport.


Passports for Britons to teach English abroadU.K. Citizens 

Visit the Home Office's Passport Identity and Passport Service Website to learn how to apply for a new passport.

Other Nationalities

Check the website for your ministry of foreign affairs or just use Google to ask where and how you can get a new or renewed passport for your nation.

How to get a passport

Want to Learn More about Teaching English Abroad?

Fill out a contact form or call us at 773-634-9900 to speak to a trained advisor about all aspects of job opportunities for teaching English abroad & TEFL certification.

New Call-to-action
New Call-to-action


international travel, passports, documents

Check Out The ITA Resource Hub!