- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
Live the Island Life as an English Teacher in Malaysia
Written by: International TEFL Academy
Last Updated: November 16, 2020
A sumptuous culture comprised of Chinese, Indian, and native Malay influences, everything about Malaysia- from it’s delicious cuisine to astonishing collection of wildlife- suggests a land teeming with vibrancy and life.
Many ingredients and many people fuse together in this tropical paradise, and as a result the country itself is a veritable buffet of cosmopolitan cafes, clubs, and colorful natural getaways. For an experience you (and your taste buds) won’t soon forget, become TEFL certified and work as an English teacher in Malaysia.
Here it isn’t only the jungle that’s hot and steamy. Nasi lemak, Malaysia’s “national dish”, is comprised of rice cooked in coconut milk and served with chicken, anchovies, cucumber, a boiled egg, and spicy-but-flavorful sambal curry.
Many of today’s modern Malaysian cities were once important hubs of the global spice trade, leaving behind a flourishing legacy of savory recipes. An international array of merchants, from Germany to Siam, came to Malaysia to conduct business. In addition to regional native South Asian fares, remnants of Dutch, Portuguese and British culinary preferences remain imbedded in Malaysia’s unique palate.
Working as an English teacher in Malaysia will allow you to immerse yourself in the multifaceted culture of this tropical paradise. As with many countries in Asia, jobs in Malaysia for native English instruction are in high demand. Most Malaysian schools prefer an in-person interview before hiring, though throughout the country numerous schools, language centers, and colleges are constantly looking for capable teaching staff. Put in the effort and you'll quickly find a position that suits you, your personal interests, and qualifications.
Jobs teaching English in Asia and Malaysia will require a TEFL certification. After securing a position, you’ll find that many schools offer free or subsidizing housing, and some (but not all) will also cover airfare. The Malay people are openly gracious and hospitable, as such, homestays are typically an option for English teachers in Malaysia. Positions tend to be centralized in larger cities, primarily Kuala Lumpur, Borneo, Panang, Sarawak and Sabah.
One of South Asia’s most dynamic cities, Kuala Lumper , or “KL” as most locals refer to it, is a bustling metropolis of eclectic architecture and modern luxury. Highly westernized, mosques sit beside towering skyscrapers and in between shopping malls. You can choose to join the crowds at one of the markets in KL’s popular Chinatown district, or get lost in solitude within one of the many parks that dot the city limits. See the entire city from above on the observation deck atop one of the tallest buildings in Asia, the Menara KL. A fascinating multicultural and multireligious blend, Kuala Lumpur is sure to capture your imagination.
Beyond the borders of its urban jungles, most of the Malaysian countryside is covered in the real thing, bursting with life and unspoiled beauty. Filled with animals most have only seen in the confines of a zoo- orangutans, electric-blue parrots, and pygmy elephants- Malaysia gives visitors a chance to leave with a new appreciation of the natural world. Diving and snorkeling enthusiasts will appreciate the county’s tempting array of tropical islands, many of which lie beside magnificent stretches of coral reef.
Open yourself up the fantastic opportunity to explore a new culture from an idyllic, exotic vantage point. Offering both gorgeous scenery and sumptuous cuisine, this is a country worth taking a closer look at.
With a TEFL certificate, you can live, work, and explore Malaysia as a local. Call the International TEFL Academy today to speak with an academic advisor, and to learn more about teaching English abroad. Find out about our online course, multiple on-site TEFL classes throughout Asia or request a brochure to learn about TEFL training courses and a comparison of the most popular countries to teach English.
Founded in 2010, International TEFL Academy is a world leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad & teaching English online. ITA offers accredited TEFL certification classes online & in 25 locations worldwide and has received multiple awards & widespread recognition as one of the best TEFL schools in the world. ITA provides all students and graduates with lifetime job search guidance. ITA has certified more than 25,000 English teachers and our graduates are currently teaching in 80 countries worldwide.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- 10 International Celebrations & Festivals You Need On Your Bucket List!
- What are Salaries for English Teachers in China?
- But I Don't Speak Vietnamese! Teaching English in Vietnam
- 8 Wicked "Weekend" Getaways for English Teachers in Singapore
- Teach English Online - DaDa Application & Interview Process
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia English Teaching Q and A with Cynthia Miller
- How Long Are Contracts For Teaching English Abroad?
- What are the Requirements to Teach English in Taiwan?
- 10 Things They Don't Tell You About Living in South Korea
- What is a Hagwon for Teaching English in South Korea?
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree
- Teaching English in Florence & Rome, Italy - Alumni Q&A with Laura Tressel
- Your Digital ITA TEFL Certificate: The What, Why, & How?
- Immunizations, Prescriptions, and Mental Health Abroad
- 8 FAQs About Teaching English Online
- 10 Reasons Why International TEFL Academy Offers the Best TEFL Certification for Teaching English Abroad & Online in 2020