- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
How Do I Get a Cell Phone When Teaching English Abroad?
Written by: Lindsay Campher Krasinski
Last Updated: April 22, 2021
I’m addicted. You’re addicted. We are all addicted to our phones. It’s true. Our eyes are glued to our screens. Rarely do our smart phones actually come in contact with our ears these days. When you are concerned about a cell phone abroad you are probably concerned about texting, instagramming at will, checking the latest snap or news story. Then while traveling, your phone will serve as a map, translator and even a travel agent. Here are some tips to keep you connected while abroad.
International Calls, Texts and Data Usage
Yes your phone company in your home country will give you the option to have an international texting and calling plan but typically at a high price. You are an English teacher, you are an adventurer, with trips to take, new food to eat, cute souvenirs to buy. You probably don’t want a huge percentage of your income to go towards your phone. And English schools calling you back for an interview do not want to dial your international number to reach you. So ditch your home number while you are abroad and instead use wifi! At your apartment, at cafes, at bars, and restaurants, wifi is everywhere. Take advantage of it to text and call internationally and domestically for free. Check out free communication apps like WhatsApp, Skype, Google Duo, FaceBook Messenger and many more! If you have an iPhone and your friends and family do as well you can iMessage and FaceTime together. New communication apps pop up all the time.
Local Calls, Texts and Data Usage
As I stated above English schools calling you in for an interview or colleagues calling you to cover their shift do not want to call an international number. So get yourself a local number by purchasing a sim card at a local convenience mart or bodega in your new neighborhood. Take your old sim card out (but save it, you’ll need it when you return home) and replace it with your new one. New number. New life abroad!
Buy data and minutes as you go. Load them on your phone and you are LIVE! Data in some countries can be very expensive so you’ll want to use free data when you can at local wifi spots. Some teachers also opt to buy a “burner” phone, you know the cheap flip phone, circa HBO’s “The Wire”. You can do this too. Have your local flip phone for local texts and calls and your smart phone to use when wifi is present. It’s really up to you.
Posted In: Tips for Traveling & Living Abroad
From Uruguay, Ecuador & Argentina to South Africa, Japan & Iceland, Lindsay has literally lived all across the globe. With her Master's in Education and her zest for life, Lindsay's extensive background in international education makes her uniquely qualified to help others achieve their goal of teaching English abroad.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- Can I Take My Pet Overseas When I Teach English Abroad?
- Top 6 Tropical Countries for Teaching English Abroad
- Top 5 Things That Surprised Me About Living in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Is It Possible To Teach English Abroad With Children?
- Coronavirus FAQs: TEFL & Teaching English Abroad or Online - What Are My Options?
- How Do I Get Health Insurance When I Teach English Abroad?
- I Don’t Speak a Foreign Language – Can I Still Teach English Abroad?
- 10 International Celebrations & Festivals You Need On Your Bucket List!
- Great Summer Festivals & Celebrations Around the World
- 20 Great Websites for International Travel on a Budget
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Things They Don't Tell You About Living in South Korea
- 11 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 6 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online