- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
Can I Take My Pet Overseas When I Teach English Abroad?
Written by: Ian Davis
Last Updated: February 25, 2020
With more and more people going abroad to teach English, bringing a pet is becoming more common. In some cases, you can take your pet with you overseas. However, there are several things to consider when weighing whether or not to move overseas with your pet, and the points below should be considered.
Requirements for bringing a pet into a different country
Different countries have different requirements when admitting a pet, so be sure to check with the consulate of that country to read up on the admission process. Click here for a full list of foreign embassies and consulates in the U.S.
What type of pet do you want to take?
What type of pet are you thinking of bringing with you when you teach English abroad? The more exotic, the more unlikely you will be able to travel with it. Also, airlines will have different policies for transporting different animals and many nations have different restrictions for different types of animals.
Travel can be stressful on animals
International flights can often be very long and stressful for both humans and pets alike. Owners should consider whether or not they can or should sedate their pet for a long international flight.
Cost of travel with animals
International travel with animals will incur additional costs. Costs will vary depending on the type of pet, length and mode of travel and the requirements of the country to which you will bring the animal when you teach English abroad.
Travel is more difficult for older pets
How old is your pet? The older the pet, the less likely they will adapt to the dramatic change involved in moving abroad. On the other hand, younger pets have more energy, and require more exercise. In the case of dogs, the opportunity to walk your dog as frequently as needed may not arise right away when starting a new job teaching English abroad.
Will your pet be happy?
Finally, the biggest thing any pet owner needs to consider is if your pet really wants to move around the world when you teach English abroad. The bond between a pet and its owner can be one of the strongest relationships in one’s life, but in many cases, English teachers realize that the best course of action is to find a friend or family member to care for the pet while they teach English overseas. Considering the majority of people who teach English abroad only do so short term (1-2 years), this proves to be the best option for many English teachers.
Check the following resources for additional information about bringing your pet with you while you teach English abroad:
US Embassies and Consulates:
Direct.gov.uk article on taking your pet abroad:
Expat’s manual on taking your pet abroad:
Expat’s manual on shipping pets abroad:
International Pet Import Requirements:
Posted In: Tips for Traveling & Living Abroad
Cofounder of International TEFL Academy and one of the team's most senior advisors, Ian has more than a decade of high-level professional experience working in the fields of TEFL and teaching English abroad. In addition to helping hundreds of people live their dream of teaching English abroad, Ian has presented on the subjects at such notable international conferences as NAFSA and has written numerous articles on related topics.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- 10 International Celebrations & Festivals You Need On Your Bucket List!
- How Do I Get Health Insurance When I Teach English Abroad?
- Coronavirus FAQs: TEFL & Teaching English Abroad or Online - What Are My Options?
- Great Summer Festivals & Celebrations Around the World
- Top 5 Things That Surprised Me About Living in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Top 6 Tropical Countries for Teaching English Abroad
- Noraebang - Just One More Reason to Teach English in South Korea
- 25 Great Websites for International Travel on a Budget
- Brazil's Carnival - The World's Biggest Party! Celebrate In Person While Teaching English
- Top 10 Valentine's Day Celebrations Around the World While Teaching English
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Bangkok, Thailand with Brittany
- How Teaching in Korea Helped Me Come Out (or Led Me To Come Out)
- LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Mexico City, Mexico with Robert Blackie
- A Canadian's Guide to the Documents Needed to Teach English in Vietnam
- 10 Reasons Why International TEFL Academy Offers the Best TEFL Certification for Teaching English Abroad & Online in 2020