TEFL Class Registration Procedures
1. Speak with a live Admissions Advisor
A) This is critical to gain an understanding of hiring procedures and international job markets for English teachers. The following considerations may affect your plans and opportunities for teaching English abroad:
- Citizenship, age, educational level, hiring cycle, interviewing procedure (in-person or phone interviews), and more.
- Review the list of the most popular countries for teaching English in our country comparison chart and individual country profiles. It is extremely important that all of our students understand the hiring procedures and eligibility requirements for English teaching positions prior to enrolling in a TEFL class.
- Non-native English speakers will need to read and understand where they can and probably cannot find employment as an English teacher,
Please review this information. In addition, all non-native speakers must complete a spoken interview & a brief essay before enrolling in any TEFL class.
Please contact International TEFL Academy at the number at 773-634-9900 or by filling out the form at this link.
You can call us now at 773-634-9900, 877-610-1337, UK +44-203-318-6930 or request information and be assigned a personal advisor.
B) To Understand the requirements to take a TEFL course:
- A minimum of a High School Diploma or GED.
- Fluent and proficient English Skills.
- Non-native speakers will be required to write a brief essay and interview over the phone to verify their English skills prior to enrollment.
- Ability to complete a university level course that incorporates extensive reading, homework, papers, quizzes, tests, lessons plans, and student teaching/observation (practicum). All work is graded and each student must pass the class and fulfill the practicum requirement to earn their certification.
- Those without a four-year degree are able to enroll in our Online TEFL class.
- Requirements and admissions policies for the Four-week Onsite Courses vary from course-to-course and non-native English speakers or native speakers without a four-year degree will be considered on a case-by-case basis and may be required to write an essay and/or interview. Please speak with your TEFL Admissions Advisor to determine whether you are eligible to enroll in the course of your choice.
C) Enrollment Requirements for Particular TEFL Courses
In addition to completing the Registration Documents, there may be extra requirements to enroll in particular TEFL classes, including:
- Online TEFL Class - A scanned copy of a government-issued photo i.d. (passport, driver's license) must be submitted with enrollment documents.
- Toulouse, France TEFL Class - All prospective students must complete a special enrollment essay prior to registering for their course.
- Honolulu CELTA/TEFL Class - All students must submit a special CELTA application at least 4 weeks prior to their desired course date, in addition to completing an interview & submitting a special pre-course task. Read more details.
- New York TEFL Course - All students must complete a written application & a phone interview prior to enrollment.
- Seattle TEFL Course - All students must complete an online registration form that will be sent to them by ITA. In addition sealed transcripts must be provided by the first date of the course, stating the student's graduation date from college.
To proceed with application interviews & essays for these courses, please call 773-634-9900 or fill out a contact form to speak with an advisor who will be happy to assist you.
2. Enroll in a TEFL course in advance before it is filled
- Online TEFL courses are limited to 20 students and typically fill two weeks in advance.
- Four-week Onsite TEFL courses are limited to 12 students and often fill 2-3 months in advance (Fall courses in Europe fill 4-6 months in advance). We strongly recommend that students enroll at least 90 days prior to their desired course start date to secure their spot and have ample time to make travel arrangements.
- Check out TEFL Class Dates & Tuition pages for updates on TEFL Class availability.
3. Registration is a 2-Step Process
A) Pay the class tuition to reserve your spot:
- Online class tuition is paid in full.
- Onsite courses require a deposit to enroll; the remaining balance will be due to the onsite course director 30 days prior to the class start date.
Class tuition and dates are listed here.
Payment is accepted by credit card, debit Visa/Mastercard, Paypal, bank wire transfer or money order. You may pay using our online shopping cart or by speaking with your advisor and providing credit card information over the phone. Instructions for paying by Paypal, money order, electronic transfer and bank wire will be provided upon request. Payment is the only way to hold your spot in a TEFL course.
Receipt: Upon enrollment, you will receive a confirmation email with your receipt and instructions regarding the next phase of your registration and beginning your class.
B) Complete Your Enrollment Documents:
To complete your registration you must complete and submit the following documents electronically: Registration Documents
In addition to these documents, Online TEFL Class students must also submit a scanned copy of a government-issued photo i.d. Students who do not turn these in will not be allowed access to the online course.
Onsite TEFL Class Students will not work with the onsite course director until these documents are received.
4. Upon Completion of Your TEFL ClasS
A) Online TEFL Class students:
Students will receive their class login and password information via email on the first day of class which is a Monday at 12 noon Central time. You will also be emailed a pre-course grammar module to help brush up before the course.
B) Onsite Students:
Students will work with our Student Affairs office in Chicago and be placed directly in touch with the Onsite Course Director.
The Onsite Director will assist you with:
Housing options, arrival and transportation options. It is HIGHLY advised NOT to book your airline ticket or accommodations until you speak with the director as he/she is an expert of that city. You will pay your housing fees to the hostel/hotel/hotel/homestay directly. You are responsible for the cost of these expenses, they are NOT included in the price of tuition. Your advisor will provide you with typical costs for accommodations for each location.
Your TEFL Certificate
You will receive via mail your TEFL Certificate after finishing your course and submitting your practicum documents.
You will receive your certificate on the last day of the course.