- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
10 Things You Need to Know to Prepare for Your TEFL Class in Prague
Written by: International TEFL Academy
Last Updated: February 4, 2020
International TEFL Academy is proud to offer a world-class 4-week Prague TEFL course at our partner TEFL school’s headquarters located in the heart of Prague, Czech Republic. Employing a state-of-the-art curriculum and taught by expert university-level instructors, this course is designed to provide you with the skills & qualification you need to succeed in teaching English abroad. This course is fun and you will learn a ton, but it is also very demanding and requires that you be prepared to meet the full-time demands of a rigorous university-level course. To help you prepare for this course, we've compiled the most common and most important questions raised by our students in addition to advice & tips from actual graduates of the course.
1. How many hours will I be spending in class and on course work during the course?
Students can expect to spend 140 hours per month on the course and about 5 hours per week on homework.
Example of a typical day during the TEFL class:
7.45 AM: Wake up and get ready
9.00 AM: Leave housing for school
9.20 AM: Arrive at school (approximate time)
9.30 AM – 1 PM: Complete two 90-minute workshops on TEFL methodology (there’s a 30-minute break between them).
1 PM – 5 PM: Lunch and lesson planning. We always have a few trainers to help with lesson planning. Students spend the majority of their time getting help for their evening lessons. This is OPEN time though and it’s not required to be at the school during all of these hours.
5 PM – 8 PM: Teaching practice and lesson observations (3 days a week). Students teach a 45-minute lesson and usually watch 1 or 2 45 minute lessons of their peers teaching. Practice teaching is followed by a group critique.
2. How many assignments are there throughout the course and what do they consist of? How many hours of homework can I expect outside of class?
The course assignments consist of grammar tests, methodology research, grammar speaking activation creations and a one-to-one learner profile. Students can expect to spend approximately 5 hours per week on homework outside of class.
3. Will I have a lot of free time to see Prague and travel around the Czech Republic or Europe?
Because of the intense nature of the schedule, you should plan to do any major sightseeing either before or after the course finishes, though you will have some free time on the weekends (in addition to homework).
4. Will grammar be taught during the course? Are there additional resources in the course materials?
Yes, grammar will be taught during the course. The school also has a great online grammar course that is sent to students before the course begins to review and refresh their grammar knowledge.
5. Is there a textbook needed for the course? Do I need to purchase it before the course begins?
There is a textbook included in the cost of the course. Students will receive it upon arrival in Prague on the first day of class.
6. What kind of English language learners will I be teaching during the practicum?
The ESL students are typically adults of beginner to advanced levels. TEFL Students will be put into a group of approximately 4-11 students to teach each night.
7. Are there any specific technology requirements for the course?
No, but students should bring a laptop computer with them to Prague.
8. How can I prepare for the course? Can I begin working on my assignments prior to the course?
There are 5 pre-course grammar tests that students need to complete before the course begins. Students will receive these tests about 6 weeks before the start date.
9. Does the TEFL course recommend housing or arrange it?
Students can arrange their accommodations through the onsite coordinator in Prague.
10. What time should I arrive on the first day of class?
The school recommends arriving on 9:15 am on the first day of class with basic school materials such as pen, paper and a laptop.
Founded in 2010, International TEFL Academy is a world leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad & teaching English online. ITA offers accredited TEFL certification classes online & in 25 locations worldwide and has received multiple awards & widespread recognition as one of the best TEFL schools in the world. ITA provides all students and graduates with lifetime job search guidance. ITA has certified more than 25,000 English teachers and our graduates are currently teaching in 80 countries worldwide.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- 10 Things You Need to Know to Prepare for Your TEFL Class in Heredia, Costa Rica
- What is Accreditation for TEFL Certification Really All About?
- Is ITA's Online TEFL Certification Course Valid and Accredited?
- Online or Onsite - Which TEFL Certification Course is Right for You?
- Who Teaches International TEFL Academy's Online TEFL Certification Course?
- Where will I stay when I take my international TEFL course?
- Can I Teach English Abroad Without Teaching Experience or an Education Degree?
- What TEFL Certification is best for Teaching English in Asia? [Expert Tips]
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 5 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree
- Top 5 Countries to Make the Most Money Teaching English Abroad in 2020
- TEFL, TESOL & CELTA: What Class Do I Need for Teaching English Abroad?
- The Path from Global Corporate Communication to Teaching Business English in France
- Teaching English in Santiago, Chile - Alumni Q&A with Erin Durian
- Teaching English in Vietnam: Celebrating Tet - The Lunar New Year
- Happy Chinese New Year! Teaching English in Asia During Holidays
- LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Mexico City, Mexico with Kyle