🔔 NEW! Now accepting enrollments for our new online & in-person culture courses for Japan, Korea, Thailand, Italy & Spain

Review & Compare Your Different Options for Teaching English in Spain

Spain has continued to be a very popular English teaching market for North Americans looking to teach English in Europe. However, it is uncommon for English language schools anywhere in Spain to sponsor a work visa for North American English teachers, especially for American English teachers (Canadians may consider a working holiday visa).

Americans who ultimately spend time teaching English in Spain do so on one of the following three avenues:

  • Private tutor in-person while studying Spanish or another language on a Student Visa;
  • Teach English online while studying Spanish or another language on a Student Visa;
  • Teach English in Spain through government programs (either a Spanish Government-sponsored or approved language program). The below chart is about this third avenue!

North American English teachers have a few different Spanish Government-sponsored or approved programs to consider applying to. ITA's Job Search Guidance experts will be able to assist those who are TEFL certified through any of ITA's TEFL courses with applying to one or all of these program options.

Note that many of these programs only place teachers into part-time employment, so often-times English teachers supplement their work schedule and income by teaching English online as well.

Read More: Spain TEFL Country Profile