Living in Ecuador Teaching English...
Teaching English Jobs
Ecuador is a small country filled to the brim with natural splendor. From a lowland coastline, mountainous highlands, and a tropical rainforest to the east, along with the world famous Galapagos Islands, Ecuador contains a striking array of geographical diversity. Furthermore, the people are known for their warm hospitality and generosity, and with a culture that places great importance on family, you will immediately feel at home in this beautiful South American country.
Hiring for English teachers in Ecuador is typically conducted in February-March and again in July and August. English teachers should expect to interview in person and are responsible for airfare and housing costs. Most EFL teachers live in apartments recently vacated by previous teachers, and many room with other English teachers.
A solid hourly wage and a low cost of living enable English teachers to live modestly, but comfortably. Schools typically offer around 20-25 hours per week of work, leaving you plenty of opportunity to travel and explore. English teachers do not need to have a BA to teach in Ecuador, but it is preferred. A TEFL certification is absolutely necessary. Major cities for English teaching jobs are Cuenca, Quito, and Guayaquil.
ITA Staff Article:
Want to see the ITA Alumni Facebook group in Ecuador?
Check their discussions, sharing of tips and information.
Feedback from our TEFL class alumni who are now teaching in Ecudor:
Guidelines for Teaching English in Ecuador
- Education: BA/BS not required but preferred; TEFL TESOL Certification is required and students can obtain certification at any of our other Worldwide TEFL TESOL locations or by taking the Online TEFL TESOL Class.
- Peak hiring months: February–March; July–August
- Types of jobs: English language schools and adults
- Typical hiring process: in-person interview
- Average teaching hours per week: 20–25 hours of classroom plus extra prep time
- Types of students: business professionals
- Cost of living per month: 500–700 USD
- Average monthly pay: 500–700 USD
- Start-up cost: $750 - 1,050 USD
- Potential to save or break even: break even
Interesting Facts About Life in Ecuador
- The first evidence of human culture in Ecuador dates back to 3500 BC.
- The largest national export is crude oil
- Ecuador has had 9 presidents since 1997
- The official currency in Ecuador is the US Dollar