English Teaching in Cyprus
English Teaching Jobs
English teachers in Cyprus typically find work towards the beginning of September, with most contracts ending in late June. For those looking to teach through the summer, opportunities at summer English language camps are available within the country and throughout the rest of Europe. Summer positions typically start in late June and early July. English teachers will be expected to interview in person once they arrive in Cyprus, and they will also be responsible for their airfare, as well as housing. Most teachers live in apartments recently vacated by previous teachers, and many room with their coworkers.
A solid hourly wage affords English teachers to live a very comfortable life. Schools typically offer around 20-25 hours per week of work, leaving you plenty of opportunity to travel and explore. English teachers need to have a BA to teach in Cyprus, and a TEFL certification is absolutely necessary as well. Major cities to teach English in Cyprus are: Nicosia, Larnaca, Pafos, Limassol.
English Teaching Requirements Cyprus
- Education: BA/BS; TEFL TESOL Certification is required and students can obtain certification at our Cyprus TEFL Course or any of our Worldwide TEFL locations or by taking the Online TEFL.
- Peak Hiring Months: September, June
- Types of Jobs: Foreign language schools, Summer Camps
- Typical Hiring Process: Interview in person in Cyprus
- Average teaching hours per week: 20-30 hours of classroom & extra prep time
- Types of Students: Business professionals, Children in Language Camps
- Cost of Living per Month: 800 - 1,000 Euro; 1,000 - 1,300 USD
- Average Monthly Pay: 800 - 1,000 Euro; 1,000 - 1,300 USD
- Start-up Cost: 1,800 - 2,000 USD
- Potential to Save or Break-even: Break-even
- Accommodation/Housing Benefits Paid: No
- Flight Reimbursement: No
Interesting Facts About Life in Cyprus
- The earliest documented human activity in Cyprus dates back to 10,000 BC.
- Cyprus spends nearly 7% of it’s GDP on education: making it the third highest spender in the EU behind Sweden and Denmark.
- Cyprus is one of the few countries in the EU in which cars drive on the left side of the road. Others include Ireland, Malta, and the UK.
- For those geology buffs out there, Cyprus is an Ophiolite, meaning it rose from the ocean nearly 20 million years ago!
A TEFL certification from International TEFL Academy is required to be a qualified English teacher, contact us for more information on TEFL Certification options.
Contact us for brochures
and to have an advisor assist you.