What is a visa and do I need a visa to teach English abroad?

A visa is simply a document (often in the form of a stamp in a passport) issued by a government that authorizes a foreign citizen to enter that government’s country for residency, tourism, education and/or work.  In most cases, you will receive a visa when you teach English abroad, but not always. There are many different types of visas and each government will have its own policies regarding visas and the ability of foreign citizens to enter that country for any of the aforementioned reasons.  It is always important to understand what type of visa you will need to travel to any foreign country.