Can I Earn My University Degree Online While Teaching English Abroad?

By: Tyler Parsons

What’s that old saying about cake and eating and keeping it for yourself? You can’t have your cake and eat it too? Not sure that phrase makes a lot of sense, but the point it’s conveying is that a person can’t have something both ways. That some situations call for a person to choose between two tough options. While that may be true in many cases in life, when it comes to advancing your education or traveling the world, maybe you don’t need to make that choice.

Bottom Line: Can you take university classes online or in-person & earn your degree at the same time you are teaching English abroad?

Yes - I did it myself. I earned my Master's Degree in Marketing while teaching English abroad in Hong Kong.

What is a visa and do I need a visa to teach English abroad?

A visa is simply a document (often in the form of a stamp in a passport) issued by a government that authorizes a foreign citizen to enter that government’s country for residency, tourism, education and/or work.  In most cases, you will receive a visa when you teach English abroad, but not always. There are many different types of visas and each government will have its own policies regarding visas and the ability of foreign citizens to enter that country for any of the aforementioned reasons.  It is always important to understand what type of visa you will need to travel to any foreign country.