- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
Tips For Getting Accepted into EPIK for Teaching English in South Korea
Written by: Joe Yoon
Last Updated: July 7, 2020
The EPIK (English Program in Korea) Program is a great way to teach English in South Korea’s public schools. It is a competitive program to get into so here are some tips to help guide you through EPIK’s application process.
1. Make sure you meet the requirements: Source - ITA Article
You don’t want to spend hours on end on the application just to find out that you don’t meet the basic requirements for the program. So, take a couple of minutes to find out below.
BA Degree of above (from an accredited college or University)
Native English speaker with citizenship from either Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, UK, or Ireland);
Clean Criminal Background Check (CRC);
Meet all visa requirements for an E-2 or F-4 visa
TEFL/TESOL/CELTA Certificate, BA or MA in Education, or a teaching license. Teachers with 20+ hours of in-person practicum are preferred
NOTE: Applicants with interest in teaching English in Busan must have 50+ hours of in-person practicum hours with his/her TEFL course
2. Early bird gets the worm: Source - EPIK Timeline
Do not procrastinate if you want to get into the EPIK program!
Applications must be submitted between Feb-July for the Fall Term and between Aug-Jan for the Spring Term.
The first applicants to interview are the first ones to get placed. If you procrastinate on the application, you may be put on a waitlist or not get placed at all.
Get started on your letters of recommendation ASAP. All applicants must also have their original hard copies of their letters of recommendation that were sent in electronically with the application. Source - EPIK Required Documents
3. Background Check: Source - greenheart travel Background Check
You will want to start this process prior to your interview with EPIK in order to make sure your background check come back in time.
This process can take anywhere from 3-8 weeks long.
4. Create an Impressive Lesson Plan & Take your TEFL course ASAP: Source - greenheart travel Lesson Plan
Create an organized and engaging lesson plan as part of the application. This is your opportunity to impress EPIK!
Taking your TEFL course early will prepare you to create an attractive lesson plan for the EPIK application.
The practicum portion of the course will give you hands on experience teaching English prior to your interview with EPIK.
The sooner you enroll; the sooner you receive Job Search Guidance and the sooner you can begin working with your student affairs advisor on further tips for your EPIK application.
From the Chicago suburbs, Joe decided to teach English in Korea because his family is originally from Daegu, South Korea. Joe holds an MA in Educational Administration and currently works as an Admissions Advisor at International TEFL Academy where he spends his days helping people from all backgrounds achieve their goals of living overseas and teaching English abroad.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- Daejeon, South Korea English Teaching Q and A with Jessica Montgomery
- 10 Things They Don't Tell You About Living in South Korea
- How Do I Obtain a Work Visa to Teach English in Korea?
- What Are the EPIK, GEPIK, SMOE, and TaLK Government Programs for Teaching English in South Korea?
- A 6-Step Plan: How to Get a Job Teaching English in South Korea
- Teach English Online with BoxFish & BlingABC - Alumni Q&A with Kelly Schultz
- 10 International Celebrations & Festivals You Need On Your Bucket List!
- What Are the Requirements for the EPIK Program for Teaching English in South Korea?
- How Long Are Contracts For Teaching English Abroad?
- Will My School Provide a Free Airfare When I Teach English in Korea?
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree