- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
The Art of English Teaching in Barcelona Spain
Written by: International TEFL Academy
Last Updated: February 20, 2020
Barcelona is located of the autonomous region of Catalonia, deep in the most northeastern corner of Spain. A stylish, elegant, and culturally renowned city with an enticing slice of shoreline, it reveals a unique side of the Spanish soul. With a TEFL certification, you can work in Barcelona and make a living teaching English.
Barcelona’s tastes tend toward the extravagant - dinners at midnight, clubs catering to any and all musical cravings, and buildings that elsewhere exist only in the imagination. On the weekend, locals head to the seaside to stroll along the waterfront, sip mojitos and dine on freshly prepared paella.
Barcelona’s main avenue, La Rambla, is the heart of the city and famous for it’s many bars, museums, and irrefutable sense of enthusiasm. Much of the city can be taken in from the street- from architectural treasures to the raucous social scene barely contained within the open boulevards, cafes are a good and inexpensive vantage point from which to see the real Barcelona. Days here are long; Barcelonans wake up early but don’t typically commence with tapas and evening entertainment until 9.
Traditional bodegas, late night lounges, and funky tapas haunts are in no short supply in Barcelona. The sheer number of bars (the highest per capita of anywhere in the world) indicates their multi-functional role in Barcelona’s social order. The counters of social clubs and sofas of hookah lounges serve to facilitate conversation between Catalonians, beginning with a strong cup of coffee in the morning and ending with la penultima, the final drink of the night with friends. Bars are replete with local brews as well as excellent wine from the north of Spain.
Catalan, a Romance language similar to the old Provancal language used in France, continues to be spoken by some eight million people in the region. It has always been a living language, conveying a sense of nationalistic pride, even when banned by the dictatorship it was preserved in the homes of Catalonians.
All throughout Catalonia is an exceptional collection of medieval buildings and world-renowned art pieces. These gems of art history have managed to withstand both years of war and threats of modernization, many dating as far back as the 11th and 12th centuries. Some frescoes and furniture from the region are housed in the Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya in Barcelona, which has the world’s largest collection of Romanesque art and artifacts. The area is truly blessed with a creative spirit- Salvador Dali was born here, and it was in Barcelona where Pablo Picasso spent his most formative years. Modernisme, led by Antoni Gaudi, is visible in the fantastical forms and vibrant shades that color much of the city.
While working as English teacher in Barcelona you will be at the center of the lively culture of this energetic city. With your TEFL certification, you will be able to tackle many of the grammatical questions students throw your way, and feel comfortable instructing business professionals as well as school-age children. Your salary will afford you the opportunity to travel throughout the region, within the country of Spain, and all around Europe.
Contact the International TEFL Academy today and find out how you can become TEFL certified, and begin your career in Spain! Learn more about teaching English abroad or request a brochure to learn about TEFL training courses, including an onsite TEFL course in Barcelona, and a comparison of the most popular countries to teach English throughout the world.
Want to Learn More about Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of teaching English abroad, including TEFL certification, the hiring process, salaries, visas and more.
Founded in 2010, International TEFL Academy is a world leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad & teaching English online. ITA offers accredited TEFL certification classes online & in 25 locations worldwide and has received multiple awards & widespread recognition as one of the best TEFL schools in the world. ITA provides all students and graduates with lifetime job search guidance. ITA has certified more than 25,000 English teachers and our graduates are currently teaching in 80 countries worldwide.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- What Are the Basic Requirements for Teaching English in Spain?
- How Do U.S. Citizens Obtain a Criminal Background Check for Teaching English Abroad?
- How to Find Private English Teaching Work in Barcelona, Spain
- ¡Visca el Barça! - Teach English in Spain with a Barcelona TEFL Certification
- A Day In the Life of an ITA TEFL Student in Barcelona, Spain
- Can I Teach English Abroad in the Summer?
- Can Americans Teach English in Europe?
- What Type of Visa Can I Use to Teach English in Spain?
- Why I Am No Longer Teaching
- 10 International Celebrations & Festivals You Need On Your Bucket List!
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree
- Teaching English and Racism in Spain
- LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Bangkok, Thailand with Brittany
- How Teaching in Korea Helped Me Come Out (or Led Me To Come Out)
- LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Mexico City, Mexico with Robert Blackie
- A Canadian's Guide to the Documents Needed to Teach English in Vietnam