- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
Visa Know How: Taiwan Work Visa
Written by: Lynda Galea
Last Updated: January 2, 2020
Visas, Visas, Visas — The topic no one enjoys talking about yet the topic everyone needs to know a lot about. Our ITA Alumni Ambassadors have been in your shoes when it comes to visas. It's a foreign topic to most, no matter how experienced of a traveler you are. Our Alumni Ambassadors have been through the visa process firsthand and we tasked Sandra with walking us through the steps she took for her Taiwanese Work Visa. Get your notebook ready and enjoy!
→ Work Visa (in Changhua, Taiwan)
Where Did You Process Your Visa?
When I arrived in Taiwan, I filled out all the necessary forms and paperwork and then my school did the rest.
→ Passport Photos (several photos taken)
→ Medical Check (the school manager took me for this)
→ College Diploma
→ TEFL Certificate
All necessary documents were provided to me by my school upon arrival. I completed several forms, a majority just required my signature. The school was pretty diligent about having already entered in all my information.
None of my forms required notarization, apostillation or authentication and my school took care of sending my documents out for me.
My visa fees were an out-of-pocket expenses totaling roughly $780 USD (this included all of my medical fees). I was up to date on my shots and didn't require any additional ones. Here's a rough breakdown of pricing:
Visa Validity, Renewal & Restrictions
My Work Visa took three (3) months to receive and is valid for one (1) year.
The Work Visa is renewable and I will be renewing mine soon. In order to do this, I will need to complete a medical check and pay a reduced fee to renew it. I will also be required to go to the tax offce to retrieve how much I have made and submit that as well. This time, I will go on my own to get new passport photos, a medical check, and the tax office stuff done. Once finished, the school will give me forms to fill out and then send them off for me.
There are no known restrictions with my visa.
Sandra is a wanna be former child star who recently quit her job of sixteen years and sold all of her worldly possessions (OK maybe not all of them) to travel the world (aka) take amazing photos to post on Instagram. Sandra's advice for her past-self? "I would have studied abroad in college, and then left to teach abroad as soon as I finished. I could have been to so many countries by now if I had not lived in fear of the unknown!'
- Teaching English in Taiwain: Country Chart
- What Are the Requirements to Teach English in Taiwan?
- Finding a Job Teaching English in Taiwan
An accomplished traveler (she's visited 40 countries!), Lynda hails from Melbourne, Australia. Since she joined ITA in 2017, Lynda has become a primary expert on the field of teaching English online. Not only has she published numerous articles on the topic herself, but she has worked with International TEFL Academy alumni around the world to produce an entire library of information and content about teaching English online. Lynda also serves as a primary organizer of ITA's ground-breaking Teach Abroad Film Festival.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- Taipei to Seoul: 5 Top Asian Cities For Teaching English Abroad
- The Requirements for Teaching English in Korea
- Can I Teach English Abroad with a Criminal Record?
- How Do I Obtain a Work Visa to Teach English in Korea?
- How Do U.S. Citizens Obtain a Criminal Background Check for Teaching English Abroad?
- 5 Reasons to Teach English in Taiwan
- 10 Best Countries for Teaching English Abroad in 2020
- Teaching English in Taipei, Taiwan - The Heart of Asia
- How Do I Get a Visa for Teaching English in Japan?
- What are the Requirements to Teach English in Taiwan?
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree