- Latin America
- Middle East
- TEFL Certification
- Job Search Guidance
- Teach English Online
- Diversity Abroad
- Video Library
10 Things You Need to Know to Prepare for Your TEFL Class in Playa Grande, Costa Rica
Written by: International TEFL Academy
Last Updated: February 4, 2020
1. How many hours do students spend in the class and on course work during the course?
Students will spend around 6-8 hours in class a day, including some work time to ask questions and get guidance on lesson planning and assignments.
2. In regards to practice teaching, how many hours is it and when does it take place?
There are 6 practice teaching classes that take place twice a week during weeks 2, 3, and 4 . The students are volunteers from the community and local institutions, teens and adults of all skill levels.
3. How many assignments are there throughout the course and what do they consist of? How many hours of homework do students typically have outside of class?
Reading the textbook, 11 quizzes taken online, Learner Profile project where students will be working in pairs to assess one EFL learner and develop appropriate lessons, and 5 additional assignments including lesson plans, an essay and a textbook evaluation. Students can expect to spend at least 2 hours a day working on tasks outside of class.
4. Will grammar be taught during the course? Are there additional grammar resources in the course materials?
Yes, grammar is taught throughout the course. ITA Grammar Module, suggested websites and many materials given in class.
5. Is there a textbook for the course? If so, where can students purchase it?
Yes, there is a textbook that can be purchased here and it can also be purchased on campus in Costa Rica.
6. Are there any specific technology requirements for the course?
Yes, a laptop and a flash drive are required (not a tablet). Students should have a good understanding of a word processor like Word or Google Docs.
7. How can students prepare to take their course at your school and/or in your country? Are there any assignments they need to complete prior to the course?
ITA’s Grammar Module is strongly suggested. Read all material sent by Student Affairs. Prepare job search materials, such as reference letters.
8. Does your school recommend accommodation options or arrange it for students?
Students can stay on campus or arrange housing on their own. Each student who stays on campus will have a private room with a shared kitchen and bathroom with one other student. The cost to stay on campus is $600.
9. What should students bring on their first day of class?
Bring a notebook, pen, and laptop on your first day. Class starts at 8:30 am!
10. Is there anything else specific to your course or school that prospective or current students should know?
Beautiful campus, minutes away from the beach!
Who should I contact if I have more questions about the International TEFL Academy Costa Rica TEFL Class?
If you are a prospective student, please contact an Admissions Advisor by calling (773) 634-9900.
If you are an enrolled student, please contact the Student Affairs Department.
Our experienced Student Affairs Department is dedicated to helping our students prepare for their TEFL class & to succeed in achieving their goal of teaching English abroad. All members of our team have lived, worked & taught English abroad and they all possess years of experience in the field of TEFL.
Founded in 2010, International TEFL Academy is a world leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad & teaching English online. ITA offers accredited TEFL certification classes online & in 25 locations worldwide and has received multiple awards & widespread recognition as one of the best TEFL schools in the world. ITA provides all students and graduates with lifetime job search guidance. ITA has certified more than 25,000 English teachers and our graduates are currently teaching in 80 countries worldwide.
Want to Learn More About Teaching English Abroad?
Request a free brochure or call 773-634-9900 to speak with an expert advisor about all aspects of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad or online, including the hiring process, salaries, visas, TEFL class options, job placement assistance and more.
- Teaching English in Liberia, Costa Rica: Alumni Q&A with Sarah Garrett
- Limon, Costa Rica English Teaching Q and A with Eden Lantz
- Teaching English in Cuenca, Ecuador: Alumni Q&A with Jennifer Maneja
- 17 Insider Tips for Getting a Job Teaching English in Latin America
- 10 Best Countries for Teaching English Abroad in 2020
- Staff Report: The Job Market for Teaching English in Argentina
- LGBTQ&A: Teaching English in Heredia, Costa Rica with Andrew Meigs
- Teaching English in Public Schools in Chile Through the “English Opens Doors” Program
- Where Will Schools Hire Me In Advance To Teach English Abroad?
- 10 Reasons Why You Should Teach English Abroad in Mexico in 2020
- 10 Companies That Let You Teach English Online Without a Degree
- What is TEFL and What is TEFL Certification?
- 10 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online to Adults
- 7 Companies That Hire Non-Native English Speakers to Teach English Online
- No Degree, No Problem: The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without a College Degree