Do I still have days where I’m [internally] screaming at the bank teller for giving me different information on one day than she had the day prior? Yep. Are there days where I’m literally screaming at motorbike taxi drivers for taking the longest route possible despite their Google Maps displayed clearly in front of them? Once a week. It’s all about balance, right?
What I’m trying to say is, when you begin to feel agitated, the best way of overcoming culture shock in Vietnam is to just wholeheartedly embrace every source of your frustration. It’s certainly a challenge, but a major perk is you won’t be that annoying expat complaining about everything under the sun. The biggest perk of all, however, is that you’ll be fully seizing each moment and making memories that last a lifetime.
Laura is a 29-year-old serial expat who left the states in 2013 in search of a fresh perspective - a decision which opened more doors than she could’ve imagined. She’s a lover of mountains, spicy food, stand up comedy, and will never turn down a pizza. Laura is one of ITA's Writing & Content Ambassadors.
Want to Learn More about Teaching English Abroad?
If you are excited about teaching English from either the comfort of your own home or anywhere in the world, contact us about TEFL certification options and get ready for a great adventure!
- Visit Vietnam Alumni Ambassador Corner - Find out everything you need to know about Vietnam from our Alumni Ambassadors that have talked the talk and walked the walk!
- Teach English in Vietnam: Country Profile
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam Fact Sheet - Just moved to Ho Chi Minh City? This post will help you navigate your way around in no time!
- 5 Reasons Why I Wanted to Teach English in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Top 5 Things That Surprised Me About Living in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Mobile Apps You Need to Download to Live in Vietnam
- Expert Tips on What to Pack for Teaching English in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- You Know You're in Ho Chi Minh City When...
- Saigon Nightlife: A Personal Tour of the Top Drinking Spots in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Top 5 Ways to Prepare to Live in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- My Home Away from Home - Finding Housing in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam