Teaching English Jobs
English teaching jobs in Colombia are in high demand. Colombia sits in the north-west corner of South America, bordered by the Caribbean and the Pacific Ocean, Panama, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela and Brazil. The Andes Mountains extend into the country in three ranges running south to north, with territory also encompassing Amazon rain forest, tropical grassland and extensive coastline. There are also 15 active volcanoes within the country. With over 45 million inhabitants, Colombia has the second largest population in South America. It is also home to the fourth-largest number of Spanish speakers in the world after Mexico, the United States, and Spain.
Remarkably diverse, interactions between descendants of the original native inhabitants, Spanish colonists, Africans brought as slaves and twentieth-century immigrants from Europe and the Middle East have produced a uniquely rich cultural heritage. Recent years have seen significant increases in military strength and police presence throughout the country, pushing rebel groups further away from the major cities, highways and tourist sites. Colombia's cuisine, influenced heavily by the Spanish and Indigenous populations, offers a range of delectable dishes to try, not to mention fruits, rum, and world-renowned Colombian coffee. English teaching jobs in Colombia start in February/March and July/August time period.
The English teaching job market in Colombia is very good in Bogata, Santiago de Cali Bucaramanga, Santa Marta, Barranquilla and other larger cities.
Learn about other English teaching jobs throughout Central and South America.
Discover the Secret Allure of Colombia while Teaching English
CNN article: 10 things to know before visiting Colombia
English Teaching Requirements in Colombia
- Education: BA/BS not required but preferred; TEFL TESOL Certification is required and students can obtain certification at any of our Worldwide TEFL locations or by taking the Online TEFL Class.
- Peak Hiring Months: Mid February - Mid March & July - August
- Types of Jobs: English language schools
- Typical Hiring Process: Interview in person in Colombia
- Average teaching hours per week: 20-30 hours of classroom & extra prep time
- Types of Students: Business professionals
- Cost of Living per Month: 950,000-1,700,000 COP; 500 - 900 USD
- Average Monthly Pay: 950,000-1,700,000 COP; 500 - 900 USD
- Start-up Cost: 750 - 1,350 USD
- Potential to Save or Break-even: Break-even
- Accommodation/Housing Benefits Paid: No
- Flight Reimbursement: No
Interesting Facts About Life in Colombia
- Colombia is the oldest democracy in Latin America.
- The world’s greatest diversity of orchid species (3,500) and bird species (1,754) are present here
- Colombia is the world’s third-leading producer of women’s lingerie.
- A major source of gold, silver, and coal, Colombia also produces 95% of the world’s emeralds.
- The most powerful electric eel can be found in the rivers of Colombia